Revival Dawn - One Piece RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Switch Account

Latest topics
[Rolls] Start me up!Tue May 07, 2024 12:06 amRNGesus[Episode] Mink-staken IdentitySun May 05, 2024 4:03 amYumiko[Tracker] Othello DuvalFri May 03, 2024 4:30 amOthello Duval[World Event] A Fool's ErrandWed May 01, 2024 7:46 pmVolo Rosso[Bio] Othello DuvalWed May 01, 2024 10:48 amGray[Claims] Face ClaimsMon Apr 29, 2024 8:36 amGray[Episode] A unusual meet upSat Apr 27, 2024 12:14 amLavender[Arc] [Rubeck Island Conquest][Part 2] Last Tango in Rubeck Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:01 amMaxwell[Episode] [Transportation] A Grand OpeningMon Apr 22, 2024 3:00 pmSkoll
Go down
Goldmonger
Goldmonger
Goldmonger
[tracker=/t1979-dax-morgan#10865]
Name : Dax Morgan
Epithet : Goldmonger
Height : 6'5"
Weight : 250
Species : Human
Faction : Pirate
World Position : Shichibukai (Future)
Crew : Gold | Works
Ship : Cleopatra
Devil Fruit : Goru Goru no Mi
Bounty : [ber=r] 27,900,000
Quality Score : S
Income Bonus : +0.20 (to all allies)
Shop Discount : -25%
Balance : [bel] 117,500,000
[[hardboiled]][[berryprinter]]
[[ancientzoan]]x2[[logia]][[firstaidkit]]

[Arc] [Rubeck Island Conquest] [Part 1] Big Trouble in Pebble Beach Empty [Arc] [Rubeck Island Conquest] [Part 1] Big Trouble in Pebble Beach

This post has in-line assessment comments.Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:33 pm
Quest Description:

Rubeck Island

A small island in the north blue neighboring the west of Swallow Island, it is rumored to be a dangerous island by those around it due to the wildlife and supposed smuggler activity.

The island's landscape of cliffs and valleys carved out by ancient rivers is lush with evergreen forests. Housing hundreds of species of wild animals, with the most dangerous ones, tucked away deep in the center of the island.

Though primarily uninhabited by human life for the majority of its history, smugglers and pirates have taken advantage of its topography and location to hide illegal operations. Taking advantage of the centuries-old tunnels carved out by the Giant Mountain Moles that still frequent the island to this day, continuing to stretch the tunnels further and further.

Even more recently, however, two small factions have taken root on the island and now attempt to lay claim to what they feel is theirs.

Pebble Beach Fishing Port | Lower Penninsula | Rubeck Island

Crashing waves and squawking gulls filled the air as the cold northern ocean slammed against the rocky shores of Rubeck Island. A natural fortress of an isle surrounded by choppy seas and a treacherous shoreline, one only a skilled navigator could explore safely.

Though, there did exist one place that allowed for a safe landing, a small area known as the Lower Penninsula. A low, rocky shoreline with flat rounded pebbles covering every inch of it. The ocean fed into a small harbor bay that housed a port town that survived on the fishing industry. Always at the mercy of the ocean's bipolar fury.

"OI! YA GEZER!" Shouted a bow-legged fisherman swaggering down the street, his oversized pompadour swaying with every step. A fisherman's rope was knotted around his forehead and a long stem hung from his mouth.

"Ahh shit... Here comes Kazu again..." The old man sighed as he chopped the head from a fish that easily weighed a few hundred pounds like it was butter. "What is it now ya brat?" He barked with one eye open and the other sealed shut by a vertical scar running down his face.

Kazu glared upwards at the giant of a man, his delinquent stare showing not an ounce of fear as his skinny frame was lost in the behemoth's shadow. "WHY AIN'T WE GOIN AFTER THEM SMUGGLER'S YET?? HMMMM???" Cocking his head to the side and leaning as close as he could to the bear of a man's face.

Sighing again, the old man leaned back and continued gutting the fish. "If ya don't know by now, I can't spell it out for ya." Huffing as he dismissed the hooligan with a wave.

"OI!!" Kazu slammed his hands onto the table, "WE CAN'T KEEP LIVIN LIKE THIS! LOOK AROUND YA OLD COOT!" Motioning to the run-down buildings on what was supposed to be a bustling market street. "WE CAN'T KEEP LIVIN LIKE DOGS, CRATED UP IN THE CORNER OF THE YARD!"

"Knock it off boy!" The man shouted, his voice laced with a rare hint of anger. Something Kazu noticed immediately.

"Tch." Stomping the ground as he swaggered off in anger.

*Ding*

The doorbell chimed behind the man, "Kazu again, huh?" A beautiful young girl questioned as she began wrapping the cuts of meat. "You know he's not gonna stop, right?"

He heard the words but chose not to respond, only continuing with his work.

"You know he only wants to help right? He really does care about this town... And he really cares about you, dad..." The girl sighed as she collected what she had packaged and went back inside.

He slammed the knife into the large cutting board and let out a frustrated sigh.

"Boss! Boss Okuma!"

"Hmm?" Looking up to see several men wearing sunglasses and tracksuits running toward him.

"B-Boss...t-he...the.."

"Calm down and take a breath before ya speak, ya idjit." He grumbled, "And stop calling me boss would ya."

"Oooookay....." The tracksuit gangster gathered himself before speaking. "Boss, the smugglers, they're coming down from the caverns and towards the town! There's gotta be dozens of em!!"

"The smugglers...hmmm... Let us go see this then." Cleaning off the blade before placing back into a leather wrap with several others. He rolled them up and tied a bow before securing them to his waist.

"Ye...Yessir! Boss Sir!"

"Stop calling me boss, ya idjit!"

"Did ya hear that?!" Shohei asked in a hushed yell.

"I sure did, kishishishi. We gotta go tell the boss! Kishishishishi!" Ichiro responded as the duo lurked around the corner, hidden amongst the shadows of the alleyway Both were dressed in blue robe tops with wave patterns decorating them and black clam digger style pants.

"For sure! We can finish this shit later, yo. Let's go!" They dropped the spray paint cans and ran off down towards the beach.

Wharf Rat's Secret Hideout | Peeble Beach | Rubeck

"Tch" Kazu growled as he kicked a can across the floor, the metal clanging off the stone floor of their hideout. A hidden cave underneath one of the docks they had found playing as children. Now covered in graffiti and junk, housing a bunch of ruffians who fancy themselves yakuza.

"C'mon boss. Ain't that bad is it?" Koji feigned concern from behind a newspaper. "Who doesn't love a good oppressing by a bunch of no good smugglers, ya? I for one love it."

"Oi, quit with the fuckin sarcasm Koji. For I come over there and beat it out of ya." Kazu barked.

"All bark no bite." Koji quipped back as he peered over the newspaper with a sharp pair of eyes.

"Tch. Whatever." Kazu grunted as he kicked another can across the room. "We gotta fuckin do something man..."

"Boss....! Boss....!!!" Ichiro and Shohei shouted as they came running into the cave. "Boss...!"

"I hear ya, I hear ya, what is it now?"

"It's the smugglers..! We heard they are coming into town right now!" Shohei said.

"Wait...what...?" Kazu stammered for a moment registering what he was just told.

"Kishishishis.. It's true, and old man Okuma is on his way to meet them now! Kishishishi." Ichiro snickered.

"You don't say....?" A devilish grin appeared on the delinquent's face. "Gear up boys, looks like Lady Luck is on our fuckin side today!"

Smuggler's Guild Head HQ| Smuggler's Port "Moletown" | Rubeck |A few hours ago

"I hereby call to order the annual smugglers guild meeting, everyone please take your seats we are about to begin!"

The words called out to a bustling room located at the mouth of the Great Mole Cavern and the edge of the dock that comprised the majority of the port.

"I will now go around the room and introduce the members that have gathered here as there are some new faces here since our last gathering."

"First, Smooglie "The Smuggler", with a bounty of 5,000,000beli and a fleet of three ships. Operating as a legal sugar transport ship, their primary contribution to the guild at this time is drug transportation." A large man with wild green hair that reached down passed his shoulders nodded. He was clothed in a fine white suit and tie, though he lacked a shirt, revealing a bare chest and a large peacock tattoo on his side.

"Good to meet' cha blokes, been awhile since I last been 'ere." Smooglie waved to the group as a small blonde woman that clung to his body lit up a cigarette for him.

"Next we have "Great Hunt" Dastardly Gulliver, a man who operates publically as a bounty hunter though primarily operates as a hunter of all things rare. His primary contributions to the guild at this time are human and animal trafficking. He brings with him a fleet of four ships." Upon his head, he wore a gorilla skull decorated with golden fangs, and what he lacked in pants he more than made up for in animal skins and trinkets. He wore a small cheetah print speedo along with a large lion fur over his shoulders. His wrists and ankles sported a stripped animal pattern and teeth and claws decorated various parts of his entire body.

"Anything you chaps need, call me eh? I can hunt anythin." Holding up his bladed boomerang and twisting his mustache menacingly.

"The woman to the left of me is known in Black Market Circles as 'The Contraband Queen' but here you shall refer to her as..."

"Ayo! The fuck is up with this bullshit?" A young man seated at the table spoke up. "I ain't here to spend all night monologuing and making friends."

"Night Time" Nemo, Bounty of 9,500,000beli, captain of a single ship, you have been caught for trafficking slaves in both West and North Blues. As well as offensive touching of a royal in the South Blue. You have also been accused of actively killing marines. It seems to me you spend quite a bit of time drawing a large amount of unwanted attention."

The host paused as he looked up from the parchment and into the young man's eyes. "Frankly, I don't even know why you are here."

The glares from the room locked in on the young smuggler whose arrogant smile was replaced by a fearful grin desperately trying to keep up the facade. "Wha...What do you mean....?"

"I mean exactly that. I do not know how such a careless buffoon was invited to this meeting. But we will assure it does not happen again."

The other attendees quickly trained their weapons on Nemo, and the clicking of flintlocks sounded off across the room. "Tough luck, mate, should've been more careful, eh? Oh well, I'd say maybe next time but, uhhh, well, ya the killing thing and all, no hard feelings, eh mate?" Smooglie snickered as he pulled the trigger, with his peers following suit. Each one pumping the body full of lead before sitting back down as if nothing happened.

"We do apologize for such a disturbance." The host said as several masked staff members rushed the body from the room and cleaned up the mess that had been made.

"No worries mate, and, I know its against proper procedure an' all. But hows about we skip introductions if everyone's fine with it, ya? We all know each other here, right? I mean, the only ones ya didn't get to were Sharkis and Oj, and we've all known those blokes for years, am I right?" Smooglie spoke up once again, looking to the others for support to get the meeting underway.

"I second that notion." The Queen of Contraband spoke up as she toked a thin long pipe.

"Same here" Gulliver announced, with those remaining to do the same.

"Hmmm.." The host pondered for a moment, "It is against protocol... but the vote is indeed unanimous hmmm... it seems we shall proceed." Tipping his cap to the party he took a seat at the head of the table.

His face was hidden behind a mask marked with a red 'Z' on it. "We are gathered here today to consider what we are doing going forward regarding the island itself. Rubeck is a large island that we control a very small portion of. Pebble Beach and the Lower Penninsula are the best places for a port on the entire island. Places that we do not currently control."

"Oi, hol' up though would'ja. The back cove 'ere... "Moletown" if you will, has served us plenty well. And it gives us the option to use the Caverns if we need to."

"Moletown will still serve its purpose, but I have much bigger plans for Pebble Beach and the Penninsula, plans that require ownership of such a place..- "

"The Caverns are another thing we need to address. How many slaves have we lost in there? How many prisoners? Traitors? God only knows what lives deep inside of those things. They run through the entire island." The Contraband Queen interjected. "Who knows what lives in these caves, sure we control the Mouth, but I say what of the entrails." Taking a long drag from her pipe as she finished speaking.

"Hey, hey, you talk of the Penninsula and Pebble Beach, but there is no cover from the marines there. Yes, there's a safe landing and the perfect place for a port. But it's also the perfect spot to get ass fucked by the World Government. Something I would very much like to avoid. We have grown so large here by staying hidden and keeping to the Mouth and Moletown." Sharkis spoke his mind as well, having more than a few personal issues with being found out by the World Government.

"Silence!" The host shouted, "I hear your concerns, I do. But the plan is already in motion and I promise you, no harm will come to any of you if you just stick to the plan."

The ominous add-on of the sentence struck a chord with all the members of the guild. Seeing that their host would have his way one way or another.

"And speaking of the plan, it's time we paid Pebble Beach a visit."

Outskirts of Pebble Beach | Rubeck | Present Time

"Boss! Boss! Here they come" The tracksuit gangster shouted to Okuma.

"Hmmm. I'll handle this..." The bear of a man grunted to the civilians armed with tools and sticks that stood at the ready behind him.

"YOU SMUGGLERS. PLEASE GO. THANK YOU!" Okuma said with a bow. Turning to his men, "There that should do it. No more of that problem."

Descending from the mountainside and out of the forest, the smugglers rode atop large boars imported from a distant island. A rare breed found deep in the seas of the Grand line. They stopped a bit ahead of Okuma before dismounting, it was Gulliver and Smooglie. Sent to broker peace between the two factions.

"Oi, ello 'ere govna', that is you right? The govna? Okama or some shite like that, eh?" Smooglie questioned that massive man sarcastically.

"Okuma. And I ain’t no governor, just a fisherman."

"A fishaman, eh? Wow, we got us a workin man now do we?"

"Show some glass will, Smooglie. We are here for a job, let's see it through." Gulliver doing his best to get his partner back on track.

"Oi, alright, you tell em then."

"Fine. Mr. Okuma, we have been tasked to broker a deal for the port you call Pebble Beach. You will find our host's generous offer here." Handing Okuma a wax-sealed note, the emblem resembling that of a snake's head.

The grizzly man looked at the sealed letter disgruntled before taking it from the hunter's hands. Tearing open the seal his eyes darted across the page before crumpling up the offer and eating it. "Answers no. Now please leave." He said with a heavy gulp, forcing the paper down his throat.

"It was relayed to us you may do something of this nature. As such, our gracious host has sent us a counter offer to such an action. You have one month to procure the funds requested on this parchment, and the one you consumed." Motioning towards the large man's gut.

"As we are not savages, we will then give you a bill of sale for your town and send you on your way."

"And if don't?" Okuma questioned.

"Then upon the allotted time's completion and no bill of sale can be completed, we will forcibly annex Pebble Beach and those still inside will be slaughtered without mercy."

"THE FUCK THEY WILL!!" Kazu shouted as he and his gang members dove from the buildings above them. Wielding a large fish mallet, Kazu struck Mooglie over the head while his minions swarmed the hunter and their entourage.

"AIN'T NO WAY IN HELL YOU ARE GONNA TOUCH ANY OF THESE FOLKS! THIS WHARF RAT'S TURF!" Standing above a bloodied Smooglie as he held the fish bat inches from the smuggler's now broken nose.

"Yeah! Wharf Rats don't fuck around, don't' cha know?! Kishishishishi!" Ichiro snickered as he held a giant fish hook to the hunter's neck and Koji pointed a repeater rifle at his temple.

"Please, move, I would love that. I mean it. Please, do it, I'm begging you." Koji whispered as his trigger finger shook with excitement.

"Oi!! Don'tcha you know who we are you brat?! I'll kill you for this, eh?!?"

"SIT DOWN NOW YOU IDJIT CHILDREN!" Okuma shouted out in anger as a wave off pure willpower poured out from his body. His Haki forcing the entire Wharf Rat's gang to their knees with only Kazu remaining conscious.

Something that took every ounce of his own willpower to do so. "O...Old...Man......" Kazu mumbled as he fell to the ground and foamed at the mouth.

"Please accept my humblest of apologies." Okuma said sternly as he bowed his head in forgiveness towards Smooglie and Gulliver. "It was not our intention for you to be injured. Please punish me instead of those idjit kids."

"Tch...Fine!" Smooglie shouted as he began to ferociously kick the giant man prostrating on the ground. He did not wince nor whine, nor did he do anything to prevent the kicks from landing.

"Hey!" The tracksuited pompadour shouted from the crowd, "You can't do that to our boss!!" The civilians echoed the sentiment as the crowd rushed in angrily with their weapons bared like fangs.

"STOP IT!" Okuma shouted from his bowed position. "Do nothing on my behalf."

"Fufufufufufu! That's right, eh?! Sit back and watch as kick this big pansy's arse! Fufufufufu!"

"Smooglie!" Gulliver shouted, "That is enough."

"Tch..! Whatever, not like they'll get the money anyway,eh? fufufufufu."

"They have their notice, let us be on our way."

"Father!"

"Hina..." Okuma responded as he raised his bloodied head.

"Oh father....!" Tears flowed down her face as she hugged her father, though her fists still gripped in anger from the site she bore witness to.

WC: 3,016/13,500

Last edited by Goldmonger on Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Maxwell
Maxwell
[Arc] [Rubeck Island Conquest] [Part 1] Big Trouble in Pebble Beach Vk6odI4
[tracker=/t139-richard-maxwell#516]
Name : Richard Maxwell
Epithet : Plague Rat
Height : 6'0" / 183 cm
Weight : 160 lbs. / 73 kg
World Position : Supernova
Bounty : [bel=r] 243,000,000
Quality Score : S+
Shop Discount : -10%
Balance : [bel] 1,217,129,125
[[bookworm]][[firstaidkit]][[berryprinter]]
[[identitytheft]][[identitytheft]][[improviseadaptovercome]]

[Arc] [Rubeck Island Conquest] [Part 1] Big Trouble in Pebble Beach Empty Re: [Arc] [Rubeck Island Conquest] [Part 1] Big Trouble in Pebble Beach

This post has in-line assessment comments.Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:17 pm
A few days after the incident...

The docks of Moletown were teeming with life, like a messy anthill. Suspicious sailors were making plans and striking deals in the squalor only the most optimistic called home. Equally unsavory ships arrived and left, carrying cargo from and to God knows where.

One building in particular was the center of attention any time of the day. Reminiscent of a tombstone on a graveyard, the twisted building stood two stories higher than the rest of the shacks. -unken Centaurean, the sign called it. People could never agree on whether it was Sunken or Drunken. The missing part had fallen off decades ago. Many pointless brawls had ensued over it, many more would ensue.

Inside, the atmosphere was as lively as it was filthy. Every chair had one leg that was too short. Too many tables had been broken, so upturned barrels served the part. Grog was the finest drink available to regular customers. The bartender was a bastard and the barmaid was a whore, but anyone who pointed that out would taste the dirt.

And that’s how the patrons liked it.

Up two sets of stairs, at the very back of a long, grim corridor, was a door without name or number. Behind it, gray haze lingered lazily in the air like morning fog. A lonely lantern sitting on a round, little table defiantly shooed the shadows away. The room was a little too big for the valiant effort, however. Inky darkness permeated the back, where a silhouette lounged on a beaten sofa.

Suddenly, the door flew open, letting light leak inside. A man with rippling muscles and a striped shirt two sizes too small barged in carelessly. “Queen, we’ve got a problem.” Sweat dripped down his bald brow. He wheezed weakly at the thick air.

In the shadows, painted lips blew out a thin stream of haze, speaking in a voice as husky and ethereal as the smoke. “We...?” An amber eye opened lazily, casting a disinterested glance at the man. “Or just you?” The voice left the prickly question lingering in the air.

Rather than answer, the bulky man simply tossed a bounty poster onto the table. In turn, the amber eye widened with a spark of recognition. “...Oh.” Not the pleasant kind either, evident by the deflated tone.

The enforcer nodded grimly. “Yeah. The boys spotted him at the docks. Hitched a ride on one of Smooglie’s ships.” He spoke quickly, with a stumbling cadence spurred by impatience.

In stark contrast, the husky voice remained a slow, calm drawl. “Not surprised. He still has some old clout over here... Not much, mind you, but enough to make a difference. He knows people... Knows the rules...” Spindly, pale fingers tilted and shook a long pipe gently. A glowing ember fell on the poster. It sent a red ring crawling across the dry paper. A weak flame flickered.

“So, what’ll we do?”

A slow, savoring drag from the pipe was followed by a blown ring of smoke. “Nothing. Whatever trinkets he’s peddling are not worth the diseases he’s carrying... Don’t get too close. This nickname of his, it’s not just for show, you know.” As lazy as the voice remained, it still carried a cold, keen edge to it.

“You don’t want us to keep an eye on him or something?”

As the creeping flame swallowed the face on the poster, the amber eye closed and a gentle laugh drifted across the murky room. “Hmhmhm~ Don’t bother. He’ll come to me, eventually... It’s his little curse.” The painted lips curled into a devilish, little smile.

“A sickness no doctor can cure.”

Words: 608
Total: 608 / 13 500

Goldmonger

[Arc] [Rubeck Island Conquest] [Part 1] Big Trouble in Pebble Beach Empty Re: [Arc] [Rubeck Island Conquest] [Part 1] Big Trouble in Pebble Beach

This post has in-line assessment comments.Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:20 pm
A fog rolled across the rocky shore as the sun began to peak over the horizon. The chill of the salty northern sea hung heavy in the air as the constant smell of rain filled the old fisherman's nostrils.

"Ahhhh..." Okuma sighed as he pulled together a net from his pile of fishing gear that sat on the rocky coastline beside him. Glancing over his shoulder with a smile, as if expecting something or someone to be tagging along with him.

"Hmph.. Kumamamamama..." He let out a somber laugh, "Been a long time since they came out with me.." Pausing a moment for another deep sigh before returning his attention back to untangling the net.

The bear of a man waded out into the water, dragging the net along the ground, inch by inch. Being sure to dredge every inch of the sea bed for whatever he could snag. He did this over and over, repeating it for hours as he covered one end of the beach to the other.

Each haul brought in a few mollusks here and there, a small fish or two, nothing close to being able to sustain a village. Let alone establish trade with other places.

From here, he goes to the harbor and boards an old fishing boat he runs with his daughter Hina. Together they sail the shallows, dropping larger nets and casting out traps and pots. And once again, he repeats the process over and over along the entire southern coastline.

"Cut the wheel up here," Okuma Grunted as he approached Hina at the wheel. "We always sta-...."

"We always stay to the south, I know, I know." Hina barked as her arms began to prepare the ship for a u-turn. "You think I wanna end up stranded on a reef, or worse, blasted into the cliffside."

"No, no... I was just reminding you."

Hina let out a sigh, "I know, I'm sorry.... I've just been on edge since everything with Moletown and I'm worri-...."

"Coming up on the right, slow it down." Mumbling as he walked out of the wheelhouse and back out to the deck.

"Yeah, got it... Good talk, Dad. Good talk." Hina sighed as she settled the boat, readying it for the nets to be pulled.

The western cape's deadly waters are littered with hidden reefs and rocks, having sunk many a ship throughout the ages. Though even if one manages to round the cape safely, you come upon Moletown's waters and run the risk of being boarded and taxed. Or just murdered. That's always a high possibility.

This route is wildly considered the far safer route as opposed to the eastern shore.

Wharf Rat's Hideout

"B-Boss! What are we gonna do..?" Shohei shouted nervously as he paced the inside of the hideout.

"Calm down, Sho, I'm sure the boss has an amazing, super awesome plan that involves saving everyone with zero issues." Koji rolled his eyes as he peered over a newspaper.

"Kishishishishi, gonna wear a hole in that rug ya keep going like that!" Ichiro chirped.

"Oi! Will you guys cut it out!" Kazu shouted as he slammed his fist into the table, splitting it in half. Silencing the room quite effectively.

"Now sit down and shut the fuck up, would'ja's?! Chino is back and he's got the Moletown news, eh?"

"Eh?! Chino's back?!" Shohei shouted with excitement

"Kishishsishi, Chino, huh?! How's that fucker been? Kishishishishi!"

"Why don'tcha ask me ya self, ya know?!" Chino shouted with a smile as he swaggered out of the shadows.

"Ayeee there he is!"

"Oh, wonderful, another annoying guy just showed up. I'm overwhelmed with joy." Koji moaned sarcastically as he returned his attention back to the newspaper.

Only for Chino to come up and give him a friendly noogie on his noggin, "There he is, ya know?! Jajajajajajaja!"

"Yaaay..." Koji peeped but otherwise suffered in silence at the bullying big brother antics of Chino.

"Alright, alright, alright." Kazu said calmly in a pointless effort to calm the room. "Oi! Shut the fuck up ya fucks! Time to get to it!"

Scattering to their chairs everyone planted themselves into a seat, save for Chino who stood at the front of the room.

"As you guys know, I been keeping a real close like eye on the smugglers over there at the Moletown. And lemme tell yous guys, there is some real heavy shit going down over there, I shit'chu not."

"What do you got?" Kazu questioned.

"Shit is hittin the fan, there's been a lot of folks turning up dead round there. Some real eerie shit in the way they doin it too. Mostly just whispers and rumors right now, but it got the whole town on edge."

"Heavy...." Shohei muttered as he hung on the edge of his seat for every word. He always did worship Chino as the coolest guy on the block.

"Ugh..." Koji rolled his eyes as he looked at the idolized expression on his comrade's face.

"They brought in some real heavy hitters for it too."

"That explains Smooglie and Gulliver.." Kazu mumbled to himself.

"Ya, I heard you guys had a run in with those two. How ya holdin up..?"

"It won't matter after we take them down, keep doing."

"It ain't just Smooglie and Gul'.... They got that guy Nemo, the trafficker causing all that trouble with marines over on Notice too.. I ain't never seen him round there 'fore."

"Nemo, eh? I have heard about him a bit... Heard he's a real fuck that one..."

"Right you are on that, a real fuck of a fuck if I ever heard of one." Chino snapped back, "Get this, I also heard there's a real heavy hitter in town. No word on exactly who yet. But talk of the town says he's got a bounty over two hundred million..."

"Two..... Two hundred million...?" Kazu mumbled to himself. "Shit...."

"Kishishishishi. Well, well, this looks like a suicide mission If I've ever seen one. Kishishishishi."

"Yeah... Boss, there's only five of us...." Shohei mumbled as he began to pace nervously again.

Kazu grunted as he walked to the corner of the room and rummaged through a box for a dusty old photo in a battered wooden frame. He whipped the grime from the glass, as his eyes studied the old picture. "Looks like we are gonna need some help, eh?"

"Whatcha got there, eh boss?"

"Get your shit together and let's go, we got some fuckin rounds to make!" Smirking as he slung a flame kimono over his shoulders like a cape and stormed out of the room.

Docks of Pebble Beach | Trading Ship

" 'Ere we are!" The ship's captain shouted as he slung open the cabin door. Shocking the golden-clad man awake, causing him to fall out of the hammock and onto the ground.

"Owww..." Dax grunted as he rubbed his head.

"Oi, we docked up, so it's time to get the fuck off me ship, eh?"

"Yeah, yeah, I fuckin got ya, man." Mumbling as he stood up and stepped out into the light, revealing the sparkling air around him. The gold dust twinkled in the light as he moved.

Dax swaggered out onto the deck, stumbling like a drunken sailor as he blocked the sun from his eyes.

"Curin a hangova, eh?"

"Fuck off, ya?" Dax muttered to the man as he pushed him off to the side. Though, as he did so the man, stuck out his foot and sent the Goldmonger tumbling down the boarding ramp and onto the Dock below.

Harharhahar!" The laughter echoed out as the sailors all bellowed out with even some of the dockhands chiming in.

"Ughhh..." Dax moaned as he sat up. "My fuckin head..."

"You okay there, bub?" A man reached down and offered a hand, helping up the down-on-his-luck pirate.

"Appreciate you," Dax responded as the man helped him up, the Goldmonger too hungover to do anything about the rowdy sailors who had brought him to the island.

He looked around at the otherwise barren dock, just two other ships docked in the port. What seemed to be another merchant's vessel and a rickety old fishing boat that seemed like its best days were decades ago.

"Pretty place, right?" The man snickered, "Welcome to Rubeck." He said with a pitied grin. "To be specific this is Pebble Beach, it ain't much, but the people are nice enough."

"Pebble Beach..? Rubeck....?" Dax mumbled, not remembering how he ended up on the ship that brought him here in the first place.

"Yup, it's the only accessible port on the island, well, the only reputable port on the island. There's another spot called Moletown on the Northern Coast of the island, but it's not the kinda place most people go."

"Moletown?"

"Yeah, Moletown, it's rumored to be a smugglers port and pirate den, a huge spot for black market activity. Because of this, they don't take too kindly to outsiders and usually charge a tax to use their waters."

"Hmmmm.." Dax slotted away that information in his memory banks, "Well, thanks for the information man." The golden pirate reached out for a fist bump.

"Anytime, good luck!" The man responded with a smile as he waved him off into town.

Once the Goldmonger was out of site the man reached into his pocket and pulled out a snail.

Puru Puru Puru....Kacha...

"I got another one, he's heading for the town now... Be ready.." Smirking as the captain handed over the Goldmonger’s bounty poster.

Click.

WC 1,514,/4,530/13,500

Last edited by Goldmonger on Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:19 pm
A cheap cigarette painted a fading trail of smoke in the air. An idly hummed tune drifted past the mumble and grumble of the local color. Dozens of mangy rats scattered from the way of a lanky fellow strutting along the dirty streets. The visitor may have seemed a little too sharp-dressed for the location and the occasion...

...But a rat in a suit was still a rat.

The entrepreneur navigated the maze of a town with practiced ease. His gleaming gaze swept over the scenery, back and forth. All around him were shoddy buildings practically leaning against each other, with a grim cavern gaping behind them like the maw of a giant beast.

Soon enough, the traveler came across the -unken Centaurean. He looked up at the twisted excuse of a bar, entertaining the thought of stepping inside for a drink. The long trip had left him rather parched...

...Hah, not a chance.

The old entrepreneur knew the rules. It was poor form to step into that place without a proper tribute. And he knew the feeling of being watched wasn’t just paranoia, not around here.

Instead, the cheap crook’s attention was drawn towards the mouth of the cavern. The backstreets were a little more... lawless... than the rest of the town... But also far more affordable. He reckoned he could find a relatively clean drinking hole in there, as well as a place to sell his latest loot. And so his confident strut continued.

Richard was very much in his element in the shady shanty town. This had been his turf back in the day, you know. It may have been years since his last visit, but the place was exactly as he remembered it. Pawn shops, gambling dens, hovels with huge chunks missing... See, it was comforting to know that no matter how much bloodstained money or questionable goods flowed through here some things never changed.

...Hold on.

Slowly, the crook backtracked a couple of steps. He stopped to squint at a leaning shack with its corner missing. The sign above the entrance identified it as the love cave. A woman reminiscent of a walrus in an ill-fitting dress beckoned him inside for a good time. He snapped out of his thoughts and fled with a polite excuse. No, it must’ve been just his imagination. He did not just see bite marks on that wall.

Along the way, another odd tidbit poked at the rat’s ears. Now, it was not his habit to eavesdrop, heavens no. He simply stopped to dump his cigarette like any responsible citizen, see. While doing so, he just so happened to catch quite the curious conversation coming from around the corner...

In the nearby alley, two burly shadows were looming over... something. Hard to tell without getting closer. “What a goddamn mess.” One shadow muttered with tired disgust. “Yeah... Third one this month. What kind of fucked up animal even does this...” The other agreed with an air of unease. It elicited a skeptical grumble. “If it was an animal...” Which in turn sparked shock and anger. “The hell’s that supposed to mean?”

Richard didn’t stick around to hear the answer. No sirree, he decided eavesdropping was rather rude. Unhealthy too. Thus his reinvigorated legs took him in the direction of anywhere but here.

Walking fast like a ticking toy soldier, the nervous traveler hurried through the streets towards the breeze of the sea. On a second thought, why settle for the swill they sold in the backstreets, when he could buy a bottle of fine vintage straight from the source? ...No, not her. Rather, he would find someone less... intimidating.

Words: 609
Total: 1217 / 13 500

Goldmonger

This post has in-line assessment comments.Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:53 pm
Docks | Pebble Beach

"Thanks again Mr. Wally..." Hina bowed to the merchant captain as she handed him a handful of beli. "Without the discount, we wouldn't be able to feed the town."

"It's no problem, lassie. You and yer Pa have always done right by me." The salty sea captain smirked as he removed his cap and rubbed his cleanly bald head. "Not many folks round these parts can do what your Pa can."

"Dad's great at a lot of things... " Hina paused with a sigh, "Unfortunately fishing isn't one of them sheeheeheehee!"

"Ain't that the truth! Wololololo!" His large belly jiggled as he bellowed out in laughter. "Alright, take 'er down to the shop for this fine young lassie! We ship out for Lvneel in two hours, be back 'ere or get ya asses left!" The crew scrambled to unload a large fish wrapped in paper onto the docks as each one hoped to gain Hina's favor first. Being a favorite of the young sailors who come and go from the tiny port.

Chuckling as she awkwardly backed away waving at the crew as they fawned over her with hearts for eyes. "Th-thank you...hehehe...."

Hina wandered back toward the town, though her attention was caught by a man lying face down in the mud. Her eyes filled with wonder as the man appeared to sparkle in the sunlight. The air around him glistened like the jewelry that covered his body.

"You okay...?" She questioned, kneeling and giving the body a good shake.

" Mmmrmmm...brubbububbb....." The mud bubbled back in response.

"What...?"

"Bububu..." The response started before Dax picked his head up from the mud. "I said, I think I got fuckin roofied."

"Roofied...?" Hina questioned.

"It's like a thing you do when you wanna drug someone and do illegal shit with their bo-.... Ya know what, it's not important." Dax gave a golden-fanged smile through his mud-caked face. "Ya got anything to eat?"

Tracksuit Mafia HQ | Pebble Beach

"Knock Knock!" Kazu shouted as he busted down the door. "Anybody home?!"

"What the... Kazu?!" A man in an orange tracksuit shouted as another in blue quickly followed behind him. "All hands on deck! It's the Wharf Rat's!!"

The rats poured in, their wave print kimonos flowing with their movements, armed with weapons as they stood at the back of their fearless leader.

"Tch... The fuck do you shitbirds want?" A man in a pink tracksuit snarled as he emerged from the shadows. He was much larger than his orange and blue counter parts and his tracksuit top was draped over his bare shoulders.

"Oi, been awhile, eh, Momoiro...?" Kazu snickered as he pointed the fish bat towards the man. "Ain't seen ya since I broke that pretty nose of yers...." Snickering at the mobster's permanently tilted nose.

"If it's a fight ya want, it's a fight you'll get, aye boys..?" Snapping his fingers, a sea of colors came rushing out from the back room, red, green, brown, and fuchsia-colored tracksuit's now stood at the ready, all armed with wooden kendo swords.

"Kishishishishi.... I guess its a fight then!" Ichiro readied his hook.

"NO!" Kazu shouted, holding out his hand to motion his men to stand down. "No.... Not this time...."

"Then why the fuck did you break down my door?!"

Kazu glanced down at the door he currently stood on and back towards Momoiro. "Uhhh... Yea... Sorry bout that. I guess I didn't need to do that. Hehe..."

"Told you so." Koji grunted as he rolled his eyes and relaxed his repeater. "Contrary to our entrance, we are here to speak of an issue currently affecting us all."

"You got two minutes to convince me why I shouldn't just kick your asses right here and now."

Kazu snickered as he removed a picture from his belly band and tossed it over toward the pink tracksuit.

"What's this... huh... You can't mean...?" Studying it for a moment before looking back toward the flame-cloaked delinquent.

"Zuzuzuzuzuz.... That's right, I'm gonna go see the mountain boss."

668/5,198/13,000
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:03 pm
Leaving the backstreets always felt like stepping out of a nightmare and back to reality. Behind the coward loomed the mouth, with stalagmites like sharp fangs and the claustrophobic labyrinth of shacks. Ahead of him, the docks extended like a forked tongue against the backdrop of the open sea. The salty breeze tasted refreshing after the damp cave air.

Fortunately, The Plague Rat fit in fine with the wharf rats, both real and metaphorical. He was wearing their colors after all. His keen gaze scanned the buildings carefully. Shops, warehouses, gambling dens... The entrance was a place without many signs. Either you were in the know, or you were lost and probably the next mark to get swindled. He was firmly of the former, having made his mistakes and learned his lessons years ago.

Ah, here we are...

The swindler slipped into an alley beside an unassuming warehouse. He knocked on the backdoor, his knuckles rapping against the rusted steel. Once, thrice, a small pause and twice again... The peculiar rhythm formed an age-old code used by smugglers and musicians alike.

Soon enough, the door opened without questions. The rat snuck in to do some business... Only to slink out minutes later, puzzled and empty-handed. It was odd. He had been sure this place would’ve had something. They recognized him, didn’t instantly try to kill him, and yet... Wouldn’t sell to him. Very odd indeed. Well, no matter. Booze was the oldest commodity and the smuggler’s haven had other sources.

But...

No matter where the rat went or who he pestered...

Nobody would sell him a single drop.

Sure, he had left the place in a bit of a hurry last time, but had he really left things on such a sour note?

Finally, in a moment of desperation, the crook knowingly broke one of the rules. He asked a question. “Well, why not?” His answer was prefaced with a sour look and pinched fingers. Reluctantly he forked over a stack of cash. ...A little more. Finally, he was pointed towards a certain bar, with an ominous mutter.

‘Go ask the Queen’, he was told...

Thus, Richard soon found himself, once again, staring at the entrance to the -unken Centaur. This was a terrible idea, he reminded himself for the umpteeth time. The thought of the tribute weighed heavily in his mind. See, there was someone in there he’d rather not meet... Someone from his past who might... not exactly be happy to see him...

The coward swallowed nervously. Fear filled his throat, making it hard to breathe. He tugged the brim of his hat lower and stepped inside. Maybe they wouldn’t recognize him anymore? The thought was crushed like glass. The very instant he walked in, all the eyes turned towards him. He swore he could hear his own heartbeat in the deafening silence.

Floorboards creaked, as the bartender slowly lumbered over. “Hrm, well, if it isn’t Mister Plague Rat himself... Long time no see...” He was a massive bastard of a man, shaped like a bean with limbs. And each of those limbs looked like it could effortlessly hoist an ale barrel.

Richard shrank beneath the shadow. His tie was starting to feel like a noose, no matter how he adjusted it. “Erm, hello, Bob... How’s... How’s business...?” He tried to smile. Didn’t get one back. “Not good. You left without paying your tab...” Lifting a trembling finger, the rat protested meekly. “Well, technically I never got that drink back then, so...” It was cut short by a massive hand wrapping around his neck and lifting him up.

“One hundred Berries.”

It was instant. Like someone had flipped a switch inside Richard’s skull from flight to fight. “...You’ll have to kill me for it.” He squeaked defiantly, while struggling to reach his pocket. A flask sloshing with crimson liquid gleamed in his grasp. Hesitation paralyzed him briefly. Some sensible part of him asked if he really was going to burn this place to the ground over pocket money.

...Yes, yes he was.

“HEY!”

Fortunately, before anyone could do anything incredibly stupid, a voice like a shotgun blast cut across the room. A man with rippling muscles and a striped shirt that really looked more like a crop top gestured at the captive guest. “The Queen wants to see the rat.” He pointed a thumb over his shoulder, at the ominous stairway. Didn’t leave much room for arguments.

Richard was unceremoniously escorted over to the stairs, before getting dropped. The muscular enforcer placed a hand on his shoulder, shooting him a glare. “...Put that thing away. Were you seriously going to light this place up because of a hundred Berries?” Scampering onto his feet, the rat stuffed the weapon back into his pocket. “It’s a matter of principle...” He wheezed.

“Since when have you had any principles...?”

“Oh har har, very funny...”

Up two sets of stairs, at the very back of a long, grim corridor... The visitor stopped to dust his clothes and adjust his tie one more time. He dipped into his pocket and pulled out a vial. A sharp needle pierced his skin. Softly glowing, green liquid seeped into his flesh. He shuddered. His eyes soon gained that same glow.

Stepping into the hazy room, the rat removed his hat and held it against his heart. “Erm, good day, your... highness...?” His gaze focused on the only source of light in the room, the glowing ember of a pipe. It painted a silhouette against the back wall. A huge silhouette...

Something moved, wriggled on the floor. Amber eyes opened. Painted lips curled into a smile full of sharp teeth. A husky voice drifted gently across the darkness like smoke.

“Hmhm~ Why, hello there... Richie~<3

Words: 958
Total: 2175 / 13 500

Last edited by Maxwell on Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:58 am; edited 3 times in total

Goldmonger

This post has in-line assessment comments.Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:01 pm
Pebble Beach | Rubeck

*Ding*

"Dad! I'm home!" Hina shouted, holding the door for Dax, "Did the shipment make it over yet?"

"Back here!" Okuma shouted.

Hina motioned the flamboyant pirate to follow as she went around to the back of the wooden shack.

The shop was dark and damp, with cluttered corners and a few oil lanterns lit to compensate for the dim lighting. A flickering showcase housed several poorly made sushi rolls scattered about the inside. Something that made the chef inside of Dax scoff at the abominations before him "Euckkk.."  

"This way!" The shopkeeper's daughter called out.

"Yeah..yeah, I'm coming..." With a passing look of disgust, he swaggered into the back room, greeted by a massive grizzly of a man. His arms were thick and hairy, with a small gray pompadour and a few remaining streaks of black peppered in. "Sheew, big fuck ain'tcha..?" Dax chuckled nervously under his breath.

Okuma glared at the sparkly, golden-clad man before him. The old-school yakuza silently judged the loud beast, only returning to his work after grunting in displeasure meant for his daughter.

"Hehehe... Dad... it's not like that...."

"That's a decent fish ya got there," Dax mumbled, inspecting the sea creature before him.

A massive fish lay atop a large wooden table. Its scales a blue with a hint of silver, large and thick, covering most of the creature's upper body and a tail that dangled off onto the floor.

"Hmph." Okuma grunted as he clumsily cleaved the head off of the fish, wasting more meat than needed.

"Woah...!" Dax shouted, "What the fuck was that?!"

"What was what, boy?" Okuma glared, gripping the cleaver in his hand.

"Nah, don't give me that shit, I saw the fuckin sushi." He glared back, "Move." Whipping Sone ki Naagin from his waist, the golden blade twisted into its beautifully curved shape, the glistening edge like that of a crescent moon. "You waste too much meat for such a poor fuckin village and your preparation and meat storage are shittier than poor."

"Shit's gotta be fuckin precise, eh?" Smirking as Sone ki Naagin began to dance. The golden serpent bit into the scales with surgical precision, filleting the meat from the bone with ease. Leaving nothing on the bone to waste.

Meeting of the Pebble Beach Yakuza Families

"What's this all about..?" A stout old man grunted as a cloud of smoke exhaled from his nostrils. He was wider than he was tall, cloaked in a fine black and gold silk kimono with a large dragon climbing the side. He fashioned it at the waist with a fine red velvet sash decorated in pearls. "It is no small thing to gather us all here like this on such short notice."

"I must admit, I am also curious, Momoiro, Kazu, why are we here...?" A man so tall and slender he seemed to flutter in the breeze. His hair was long, blonde, and stiff, giving him the look of a scarecrow dancing in the field.

"Oi, Nise, how much did those knockoff's cost ya, eh? Zuzuzuz..." Kazu snickered as his geta clicked with every bow-legged step.

"Why I...?! Knockoffs??" Nise shouted in disbelief, seemingly trying to convince himself just as much as the room.

"Shut it ya shitty shit shits..." Momoiro snapped, "We need to make this quick. I can't stand you shits."

"At least we can agree on one fucking thing, eh?" Kazu barked back. "Everyone sit down and shut the fuck up."

"Our boy Chino has been deep in it over in Moletown, bringin back the news and shit. Keeping us all informed like, ya dig? But here the thing, after what happened the other day and the shit Chino's been hearing from ova there...? Cannibals and shit?! Nah.."

"We ain't got time to debate no more, it's nut the fuck up or shut up. Moletown's coming for us. And us right here..?" He motioned to the Wharf Rats and Tracksuits, "Well, we are coming for those fucks first, yea?"

"I must admit, that is a fact. Moletown has shown its hand. They will not let us survive here much longer." The scarecrow mused, "You have the loyalty of the Karasu."

"Tch... I can't believe it's come to this again..." Chomping on the cigar that dangled from his lip Nise pondered the past. "It seems like it was just yesterday....."

Twenty-two years ago | Rubeck Island

"Run!!!!" The word echoed off the rocky shores of Rubeck's southern Peninsula.

"Get those shits!" Momoiro shouted, his pink tracksuit lighter and the sleeves decorated with white petals. It was form-fitting and he wore the zipper to his neck. His face was free of wrinkles and he had yet to grow his signature sideburns which would see him rejected by every woman he would ever love.

"We just need to get a little further!" A kimono-wearing man shouted,  his hair styled in a pompadour fashion.

"I-I... Can't...." A much larger but similarly dressed man huffed as he continued to lag further and further behind the rest.

"C'mon Maku! Just a bit further! Don't give up!"

"You aren't... getting.... away, you shitty shit!!" Momoiro shouted, whipping his katana at such a speed that a blade of wind now hounded the fleeing men.

"Waaahhh....!?!"  

"*Shtinggg!!!*

The sound of metal clanging rang out through the air as the wind blade dissipated into nothing.

"Ooo--Ahh!" A youthful white monkey with a budding pompadour shouted proudly, beating on his chest.  

"Good work, Jiro!" Okuma shouted as he quickly followed behind his simian companion. "Now then, who are you?"

"Your shittiest nightmare you shitty demon shit!" Momoiro shouted, whipping his katana, again and again, sending a barrage of bladed wind rushing straight for the pair.

"Oo-Oo! Ahhh!" The arrogant grunts of the beast accompanied an equally arrogant smile. He motioned to respond, but Okuma blocked his path.

"I will handle this." A faint smile showed for just a second as he removed a large black handle from his back, flipping out a blade to reveal a giant barber's razor. A blade made specifically for the giant of a man that he was, it had earned the named Scalphunter by friends and foes alike due to Okuma's signature haircut. All skin.

Parrying the wind scythes with ease, Okuma closed the distance in a flash. His massive frame was gone in the blink of an eye.

"Too slow," Okuma mumbled as Scalphunter barely managed to shave a few inches off the blonde man's long flowing hair.

"Slow? How's it slow?! I dodged your shitty swing!" Momoiro shouted, attempting to counter with his long katana, taking a clumsy wide swing.

"No," Okuma grunted as he gripped the boy's wrist before tossing him like a rag doll across the battlefield. "I'm slow."

Momoiro twisted and tumbled across the stony shore until he rolled to a stop. "Shit...." Groaning as he spits a tooth from his mouth. "Shitty Demon shit, that all ya got? Hehe....Pretty shitty if ya ask me..."

Momoiro rushed the bear again, jumping into the sun to take advantage of a blind spot. He brought his long katana above his head and came down with all his might.

"There." Okuma sighed, with a twist and step, he maneuvered himself out of the way from Momoiro's katana. While also perfectly setting up Scalphunter to take its prey. "Skin fade..." He mumbled, his blade working so fast any normal person would miss it.

"It's done." Pulling a cloth from his waist, he wiped the hair from Scalphunter's razor. The sun now glistened off the pink tracksuit man as his luscious blonde hair decorated Rubeck's rocky shores.

"Ooo! Oooo! OOaahaahaah!!" Jiro bellowed as he rolled on the ground, laughing himself into tears at the cue ball in front of him.

"Ahhh, oooo.." Finally collecting himself as he wiped the tear from his eye. "Aaah aaah." Motioning to remove the tracksuit from his body.

"Leave it." Okuma said, "That shipment of tracksuits went missing as far as I'm concerned."

"Let's get back to Moletown, Kazu and Hina are waiting."

1,338/6,536/13,500[/i]

Last edited by Goldmonger on Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:20 am
Before the rat could react, the ‘something’ slithering on the floor suddenly wrapped around his ankle. A startled yelp escaped his throat, as his legs were stolen from beneath him and he got yanked towards the smiling shadow. Slowly it rose up... Towering over him...

Slowly, Richard’s eyes adjusted to the darkness. Several thick tentacles wrapped around his limbs and propped him upright. Iridescent blue rings decorated each one like softly glowing tattoos.

At the other end of the writhing mass was a woman several heads taller than most men. She emerged from the smoke like the Kraken from ghostly mist. Her two-tone hair framed her features like a lion’s mane, wild and untamed. Freckles and heavy makeup decorated her sharp face. A dark coat and a fluffy fur boa working together barely covered her ample figure. Judging by the shameless cleavage, the show was intentional.

Without warning, the octopus woman trapped the ratty man into a kiss. It tasted of fiery passion, bitter smoke and sweet death. As she pulled back, a deep violet strand dripped from her tongue. The saliva sizzled against the floorboards, leaving a darkened stain. That same deep shade of violet spread through the doctor’s veins, painting messy splotches against his skin. ...Only to suddenly fade without a trace. Like dying embers, his venom green eyes burned softly.

The defiant glare garnered a predatory grin from the deadly lady. Slowly, her tentacles tightened their grip. Joints trembled and bones quivered against the power of pure muscle. Yet, suddenly she stopped. She glanced down, finding a syringe threatening to pierce her fair skin. Pitch black liquid sloshed within.

After a couple of tense seconds, the Queen let out an amused little laugh. “Hmmhmhmhmhm~ Glad to see you haven’t changed a bit...” With the twirl and flourish of an oft-practiced dance, the two separated, withdrawing their limbs and weapons in unison. So went the classic Moletown Waltz.

While the rat dusted his clothes, the octopus leaned back to lounge on the sofa. “Well, Richie? I trust you remember the rules...” Her curious gaze shifted towards the suitcase. Much to her delight, it was plopped onto the table before her.

Locks clicked. The maw popped open. Richard rummaged briefly. Soon, he produced a brown bottle with peculiar branding, alongside a small porcelain cup. “A bottle of vintage Loguetown Brandy for the Contraband Queen.” Like a true gentleman, he poured a tribute to the ruler and offered it to her.

The Queen took a moment to savor the offering. Smooth like smoke, with embers bringing a delightful burn, it went down well. She let out a satisfied hum. “Hmhm~ Not bad, darling.” Another cup softened her sharp smile and painted her freckled cheeks with the faintest pink. “Fine then. What business brings you all the way here? Buying or selling?” She finally relented, curiosity trumping suspicion.

With the tribute paid, the entrepreneur could relax a little. He found his usual smile, wearing it like a mask. “Well, a bit of column A, a bit of B.” He glanced at the secrets of his suitcase, before snapping it shut. “I have some... hot new merchandise I’d like appraised... In exchange for a bottle of Moletown wine. The old slang came to him like he had never stopped using it.

Quietly pondering the businessman’s words, the octopus woman slowly rose from her seat. She emptied her pipe into an ashtray and pulled out a small pouch from somewhere secret. Murky, greenish powder filled the pipe again. A delighted smile visited her features, when the gentleman offered a light. Breathing a smoky sigh, she beckoned him to follow.

“Hm... Walk with me, would you?”

Riding the writhing mass, the Queen moved as if she was gliding across the floor. Through the hallway. Down the stairs. She took her guest to the ground floor, through the backdoors and down into a secret cellar. Along the way, the henchmen bowed their heads as she passed.

The cellar was huge, housing enough casks and food to wine and dine an entire fleet. More importantly, it was busy like an anthill. Colorful minions of all shapes and sizes were hauling in large crates. Some of them were open, revealing a mismatch of blades and guns inside. Every thug, crook and lowlife present was handed a weapon and sent to fetch more. Quantity over quality in every regard.

Richard’s eyes wandered across the ominous scene. He found many familiar faces. Smooglie, the wild-haired bastard, nodded in recognition, before going back to directing a group of scarred veterans. Each one carried a peculiar weapon clearly crafted for their hands only. The rat recognized them as The Smuggler’s personal guard... And shivered.

The puzzle of a hundred questions was given the framing pieces.

Reluctantly, the entrepreneur glanced at the deadly lady. “Y-you... look like you’re preparing for war...” He managed to mutter, despite his throat suddenly feeling dry like a desert. His worries were quickly dismissed... “Oh, don’t be ridiculous. This is not war... This is pest control. ...In a dangerous tone that didn’t help his creeping anxiety. Not one bit.

Knowing the coward’s habits intimately, the Queen slowly coiled her tentacles around him. “You know, we could use a man of your talents. A man who isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty.” A man who was too troublesome to have as an enemy. “How about it, Richie? Will you be my cute, little pawn again? It’ll be just like old times. And I’ll reward you handsomely... She cooed softly into his ear.

Richard swallowed hard. His smile cracked like a poorly crafted porcelain mask. “Absolutely...” Not. Absolutely not. Come on, just say it. Spit it out, you stupid, cowardly, little... His answer was taken, before he could finish it.

“Fantastic~ It’s a deal then.”

While the femme fatale withdrew her deadly tentacles, the scared rat adjusted the noose, er, the tie around his neck. In the laboratory of his mind, thoughts bubbled in flasks and passed through pipes. A new plan was slowly distilled. He had to disappear.

Words: 1011
Total: 3186 / 13 500

Last edited by Maxwell on Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:22 am; edited 2 times in total

Goldmonger

This post has in-line assessment comments.Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:11 pm
Okuma and Jiro wandered through the wild forest of Rubeck, doing their best to avoid the lower swamps that sat between the pebble beach and the tree line.

"This way," Okuma grunted, motioning towards Jiro. "We don't want to come across any of the bananawani gar."

"Ooo Ooo!" Jiro barked back arrogantly, his confident attitude showing no fear of the migratory fish and their ability to travel on land.

"You say that, till you come across one." Okuma snickered, "Ya know they love to eat little monkeys like you."

"Ooo Ooo Ahh!!"

"Yes, yes, I know. You aren't like the rest of your kind." The demon bear's response was jovial and kind. Prompting a large smile to erupt on the little monkey's face.

Momoiro's hideout

"That shitty shit of shit!" The pink tracksuit shouted as his hands squeaked across his freshly bald head.

"Bahahahaha!" A green tracksuit cried out laughing as tears ran down from his eyes. "That bear got you good, huh?! Bahahaha!"

"Shut your shitty trap 'fore I shut it for ya!" Momoiro shouted back.

"How about ya both shut it." A blue tracksuit interrupted. "Can't believe you just ran away with your tail between your legs. Pretty embarrassing if ya ask me."

"Look you shit...!"

"Don't look me nothing, you got your ass kicked by an old man and a monkey and came crying back here. Who's to say they didn't follow you back?!"

Momoiro began to stammer a response before being cut off.

"Exactly, you don't fucking think. Just like these stupid ass tracksuits you stole. I told you to get us some fucking money and you came back with these dumb things." Pulling at the blue suit he was clothed in.

"If it's so shitty why ya wearing it ya shit?!"

"Because it's fucking cold here! If you could have just sailed a ship like a normal person, we wouldn't have gotten stuck on this barren rock of hell"

"Alright, alright, Aoi, we get it. Momoiro is a stupid idiot moron who can't sail a ship to save his life. We don't need to keep drilling into his bald head how terrible he is." The yellow suit jumped in.

"Yeah, I guess you are right, Kiiro. He knows what a stupid useless fuck he is." Aoi snickered back.

"Midori, let's go, we need to make sure nobody is chilling outside waiting to kill us," Kiiro mumbled as he motioned to the green tracksuit to follow him outside.

"Yeah, sure, you shitty Kimidori shits go do that."

Moletown

"Oooh Oooh!" Jiro shouted as a young Kazu came barreling out of a newly built wooden shack. The boy embraced the pompadour monkey with a loving hug.

"Your back!" The gleeful boy snuggled into the white monkey's warm fur.

"Kazu...! I told you to wait for me...!" Hina stumbled out the door yelling until her eyes locked on the pair. "Dad! Jiro!" The girl quickly copied Kazu's sentiment and embraced her father.

"Yes, yes, we are back." Okuma's deep gruff voice was laced with warm kindness.

"Back without the shipment, I see..." A large, olive-skinned man grunted as he waddled over to the makeshift family.

"Yea, couldn't find em." The bear's tone was firm and cold, lacking the warmth from his previous interaction.

"Oh. Couldn't find em, eh? Real Shame."

"Mhm. Shame."

"Well, there's always next time. I have my men out scouring the forest and bubbling swamps now. Shouldn't be too long before those thieves are found."

"That so?"

"It is..." The olive-skinned man snickered as he pulled a lollipop from his pocket and popped it into his mouth. "Well, I must be off, here ya go kids." He handed the used lollipop to Hina and swaggered off.

"Ooo..." Jiro snarled as the man walked away.

"Stop." Okuma held out a hand in front of the monkey.

"Eww.." Hina looked at the candy before tossing it on the ground.

"Heh. Good girl." Okuma smiled before herding the group inside the home.

WC 664/7,200/13,500
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:44 pm
With the partnership renewed, the octopus dragged the rat along for another walk. She had always disliked crowds, even when the people in it answered to her. Someone like her drew glances. Admiring, startled, fearful... Well-meaning or not, they all started feeling like needles digging into her flesh before long. So she withdrew into the shadows, through the dim corridors, up the creaky stairs... Until they reached the top.

The rooftop offered a nice, scenic view of Moletown. Well, nice and scenic were relative terms, when talking about a rotten, little smuggler’s cove at the mouth of a cave. Still, the retreat allowed the Queen to survey her lands, her people, without being seen. One of her favorite hobbies, really, alongside... Well, a lady didn’t tell and a gentleman didn’t ask.

Slithering over to the railing, the lady took a long, ponderous drag. Wisps of smoke carried oddly wistful words. “How long has it been...?” She stared off into the distance, at nothing in particular. “Since we first met...? Twenty years? Twenty-two?” It was the latter, of course, but she preferred not to recall exactly. Made her feel old.

Richard lit up a vice of his own. The gray haze brought back memories. To him, it was like opening an old photo album. Some pictures were clear, others a little blurry. All were weathered and tinted yellow by the march of time

The Queen gestured her pipe at the central dock. If the cave was a gaping maw, then the pier resembled a thick tongue stretching into the sea. “Hmmhm~ That’s where I first found you. I can still remember it like it was yesterday. A young, bright-eyed man stepping ashore, far from home and hopelessly lost...” Her lips curled with a fond, little smile. Just like her kiss, the sweetness hid venom behind it.

Richard closed his eyes and leafed through the imaginary album. Ah, there we go, the docks... Two decades ago, they were much smaller. Had that sense of new to them. Much like Moletown itself, really. It was only a couple of years old as an officially established port. The buildings and the people were still searching for their place.

The rat let out a hazy sigh.

“Yes, I recall... I had just established my clinic in Loguetown. Things were slow. Tough to start as a newcomer with no accomplishments to my name, see. So I figured I would travel a little. Expand my horizons and all that. Just a quick trip to buy rare books and herbs... Ended up here by accident.”

He savored the smoke for a moment. Chose his words carefully.

“And then I met you.”

It was one of the more vivid memories. Richard recalled walking down the pier, past the docked boats and small warehouses. The next photo depicted the wild-haired woman herself, a cigarette between her teeth and a lead pipe hoisted over her shoulder. She blocked his path. Words echoed through his mind, asking if he was lost. Naively, he answered yes. Even back then, her sharp smile stirred complicated feelings. Some things just never changed.

As the former doctor opened his eyes again, reality replaced the worn snapshots. Buildings seemed a little bigger, a little more... Degraded, was the polite word. Some had burned down, built anew and burned down again. Such was the cruel circle of life in Moletown.

Another breathy laugh drifted between them, as the octopus leaned against the railing. “Hmmhmhmhm~ I was planning to simply mug you back then...” She cast a sly glance at the gentleman. “I’m so glad I changed my mind~” And there it was again... That eerily charming smile.

Richard averted his eyes, shifting his attention onto the main road instead. As his gaze trailed along, the page turned on the imaginary album. More photos from the past painted a picture in black and white. Or yellowish grayscale, rather. The old pharmacy, where his clinic was downstairs... And next to it, the old -unken Centaurean, with just one floor and a different owner.

Somewhere along the way, the rat found himself smiling. “Right. Your operation needed a doctor and I needed money to get back home. It was a natural deal, really. A quid pro quo, as they say in Ilisia.” He pondered idly.

“Oh, Richie... Don’t tell me it was all about money for you, hm~?”

Another taste of smoke jogged the traveler’s memory, digging up a particular detail. “Ah, no, nothing of the sort... It’s just that... Well, I made more money in a couple of months than I had made in my entire life up to that point.” As he voiced the recollection, his gaze and tone turned a little hollow. Come to think of it... That was the first time he worked with pirates, wasn’t it?

Words: 800
Total: 3986 / 13 500

Last edited by Maxwell on Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Goldmonger

This post has in-line assessment comments.Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:28 pm
Moletown

Several shadowed silhouettes sat at a long wooden table, with the large olive-skinned man sitting at the head. His round, sausage-like fingers dipped into a large bowl of candy in front of him. Rustling around until he plucked out some chocolate in a tin wrapping.

"Okuma..." He mumbled, opening his wet maw as the chocolate quickly disappeared into the abyss. "He's becoming quite the problem...."

"Indeed." A voice responded from the shadows. "That shipment he failed to recover sets a bad precedent for business." A fist pounding on the table in anger accompanied the raspy voice it belonged to.

"The shipment won't be a long-term concern." He grunted with a sadistic smile, bits of chocolate decorating his black teeth. "But the bear...."

"And what do you propose we do about him, hmmm?" Another spoke up, interrupting the candy man. "The demon barber is not one to take likely."

"He has a wife, does he not...? Children...? I don't think it would be.... unreasonable for an accident to befall them." Licking his lips as he devoured another piece of candy, his rotten teeth crushed the rock candy into sugary dust.

"His wife and children...?" A weather-beaten man leaned forward and out of the shadows. His eyebrows were as long as his gray, wisping mustache and his skin resembled tanned leather. "Such dishonorable tactics...."

"That's not a problem, is it, Kame...?"

"Problem...?" The old man smiled a devilish, toothless grin, "Why I wouldn't have it any other way, yokokokokokoko..."

"Good... Keep an eye on them... The bear still serves his uses... For now..."

"Of course, Kyandi... Of course..."

Bubbling Swamps

"Run, Kiiro!!" Midori shouted as blood spewed from his mouth and a sword penetrated his back.

"Midori...!!!" The yellow tracksuit shouted as he stumbled through the forest and into a steaming swamp, tears rushing down his bloodied cheeks.

The pools of murky water constantly bubbled from the heat underground. Creating a pocket of warmth found nowhere else on the island. A warmth that allowed for a predator like no other to thrive.

"Shuld we go after 'im..?" A large man in denim overalls asked with a slur.

"Nahhh, where he's headin', there ain't nothing that can save... Luluulululululu... That gar will get 'im in no time..." A pencil-thin man with a flattop snickered. "Let's get on getting back to Moletown, there's a whore I wanna see fore we get back to da boss..."

Kiiro's yellow tracksuit was stained with red, his lungs felt like they were going to explode and he just watched his best take a sword through his back.

He struggled to catch his breath as he ducked behind a tree. Holy shit... Midori. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. His thoughts raced as quickly as his heart was beating. Bullets of salty sweat mixed with his tears and Midori's blood as they fell down his face. Creating a scent so delicious no predator could resist.

"I...I...Gotta get back... Tell...em.... what happened...." Mumbling to himself between each gasping breath. Kiiro climbed back to his feet and waded through the muddy swamp. With each step, he sunk deeper and deeper into the warm water. Having to drag out his feet from the gripping mud as he drudged along.

"Just... a little further..." His eyes darted around as he scanned his surroundings. Starting from the left and then to the right and back again.

Anyone who had been on Rubeck for a few days knew of the danger that lurked in the muddied depths of the Bubbling Swamps. A danger imported by the smuggler's ages ago, an amphibious fish that thrived in the humid, muddied conditions.

A splash from behind caused him to almost jump out of his tracksuit if only the mud had allowed it. "What was that...!?! Who- who's there...?!" Erratic and full of fear, his saucer-like eyes danced inside of his head. "M-must've been the wind.... yea.... the wind... hehehe... Just... just a little bit further and I'll be at the hideout. Yea... Just a bit fur-....!"

Kiiro was dragged under the water as he flailed about violently. The water splashed as his arms desperately searched for something to grab onto. Muffled screams produced only bubbles as the water was dyed red and bits of yellow floated to the surface.

Rocky Coast of Rubeck, eventual site of Pebble Beach

"Oi! Maku!" A mustachioed pompadour shouted.

"What'dya want...?!" The hefty pompadour responded.

"Ya find anything yet?!"

"Find anything?!?! How the hell can I find anything if I don't know what I'm looking for?!?" Maku snarled as he chucked a stone into cold waters of the North Blue.

"Yea... Good point... What exactly are we looking for? Didn't Boss Okuma tell ya anything...?"

"I don't know, the Boss said to leave no stone unturned.. So here we are turnin over stones.."

"Wait.... The boss said to leave no stone unturned...?"

"Yup, he said to me, 'Maku, I need you and Zaju to head down to the shore and look around for the guys causing trouble near there, leave no stone unturned'. So I says okay, and here we are, turnin over all the stones."

"Still not sure how they'd be hidin under these tiny little stones, but, who am I to question da boss, ya know?"

"Maku.... YOU IDIOT!!" Zaju shouted as he launched a stone at the rotund man's head.

"Yeeooww! Why'dja do that, Zaju?! That hurt!!"

"It's a figure of speech, don'tcha know?! The boss didn't mean to literally turn over all the stones on the beach!! I can't believe it! We been here for hours now picking up rocks for nothin!!"

"Ya know..." Maku mumbled as he nursed the lump on his head. "That does make a bit more sense..."

"Of course is does, ya idiot..." Pausing as he noticed Maku's gaze had drifted off behind him. "Huh?! What's got your attention no-...?!

"My, my, my...." A tall slender man who fluttered in the wind wandered down the Stoney shore. He was draped in a yellow and brown kimono, and his hair was dull and straw-like. A jet-black katana was fixed to his waist with a red sash that reached down to his sandal-clad feet.

"Now who the fuck is this?!" Zaju gave an exhausted shout.

1,037/8,237/13,500
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:30 pm
A wispy sigh escaped between the Queen’s sharp teeth. “Hohum, I bet... Those were the days...” Her gaze had wandered somewhere far into the past. When things had still been a little shinier and the people a little younger. “I still remember our first takeover, you know. Just you and me against the world.” She hummed fondly. Her attention drifted back onto the former doctor and her wistful smile sharpened. “You always were a natural.”

The rat averted his eyes, trying to sidestep the topic. “Well, I don’t particularly enjoy violence. I’m not cruel, see, merely...” He hesitated, trying to find the right word for it. “...efficient.” Sounded better than ‘desperate’, ‘underhanded’ and any number of similar terms. They were all equally true though. You could always trust a cornered rat to behave in a certain way.

Watching the crooked gentleman squirm, the shady lady smiled. “Efficient.” She echoed the word choice, more curious than mocking. “Hmmhmhm~ If you say so...” Taking another taste of smoke, she fell silent. Yet the smile playing on her lips told more than words ever could. Her mind was recalling that day...

Tripping over the thought, the doctor found himself back in the yellowish grayscale scenery again. Flashes from here and there passed before his eyes. One was of the octopus woman, towering above him, dragging him along. Another depicted a messy bar brawl, with a storm of tentacles and fury at its center. Then his mind drifted to his first clinic, just a humble apartment above the local pharmacy, where he diligently patched up the aftermath of the takeover.

“Hey, remember Kyandi?”

The crook snapped back to reality, as the question pierced his pondering. He stroked his chin, leafing through the pages of the imaginary patient records. K for Kyandi, Kyandi... Ah, here. “Overweight, diabetic, chronic halitosis?” His answer elicited another breathy bout of laughter.

“Hmhmhm, I’ll take that as ‘yes’.”

How could Richard ever forget? Even now, as he closed his eyes, the past played as vivid as a snail broadcast inside his brain. See, it all happened a couple of days after his arrival and the first of many brawls...

It had been a slow night. A handful of cases. Writing notes. Research. The creak of floorboards came first, the stench of sugar and rot came second. ‘Doctor Maxwell, I presume... I’ve heard much about you...’ Something about those words had always given the coward chills. Like the man speaking them had known him for years, while he knew nothing about him. Back then, he had chalked it up to paranoia.

He knew better now.

Kya-errr, Mister Kyandi, to anyone not in the inner circle, was a big fellow. Robust, putting it politely. His eyes were like black pearls and his smile was like a tar pit. Shaking his sausage fingers felt akin to grabbing a freshly licked candy cane. The way he occasionally brushed his hair left it slicked back. Liked to dress sharp. Made some lucky tailor very rich.

Even a wild place like Moletown had its set of rules. One of the most important rules was very simple. Whatever Mister Kyandi wanted, Mister Kyandi got. And Mister Kyandi wanted a lot. That night, he had wanted something for his heartburn. Something that involved neither exercise nor changes to his diet, as the doctor had quickly and painfully learned. Every wrong answer had cost a broken finger.

Luckily, the young doctor had gotten it right on attempt number three... Pills and cash exchanged hands. Everybody was happy. And more importantly, alive. Not all deals with the candyman ended so amicably, as the bright-eyed youngster later learned.

Richard shook the grim memory out of his head. “Let’s... not dredge up that particular tale right now... I’d like to save what little appetite I have left...” Eager to change the topic, he offered the Queen a sheepish smile. “...Speaking of which, how about some lunch?” Nobody could live on cigarettes and booze alone, you know.

In turn, the lady rose from the railing. “Hm, why not? I could go for a bite...” She flashed a sharp smirk in passing, equal parts teasing and hungry. “We can talk business afterwards~” Slithering steps took her towards the stairs and the rat quickly scurried after her.

As the duo descended back into the dim depths of the bar, the doctor’s mind continued wandering. He was honestly trying to forget it, but the rotten, black grin kept creeping to the back of his mind. It was a strange thing to worry about, considering...

Well, considering who he had allied himself with right now.

And what said ally had done back then...

While the body moved, the mind leafed through the album. Some memories were like medical records, others more like group photos. Yet they still flowed together. Two broken fingers in a cast... A toothy smile twisted into a frown... Another brawl filled with blood, bruises and teeth knocked loose... Bandages wrapped around pale skin and thick tentacles... A silhouette of a kiss painted against a full moon... Sunlight seeping through the window, onto clothes scattered across a floor...

“...Heeello~ I asked if what you want to drink, Richie~”

Richard snapped back to reality. He found himself sitting in a private booth, across the Queen. He felt a playful tentacle nudge against his leg. Quickly he hid the distracted expression under his usual, polite mask. “Ah... I’ll take the usual, thank you.”

Words: 907
Total: 4893 / 13 500

Last edited by Maxwell on Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Goldmonger

This post has in-line assessment comments.Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:24 pm
Pebble Beach

"How come ya take us fishing all the time when you are so bad at?" Kazu mused, kids, they say the darndest things sometimes.

"You'll never get good if you don't practice," Okuma grunted back, nets and fishing line hung from his massive shoulders.

"Oooh Oooh!" Jiro echoed the sentiment with a toothy smile and head pat for the young boy.

"Tch... Cut it out, Jiro!" Kazu snarled back as the group broke the tree line and stepped out onto the rocky shore of the southern Peninsula.

"Ahhhh" Okuma let out a deep exhale, "I'll never get tired of this... Alright, boys. Let's get to work."

He waded out into the choppy waves as they broke one after another onto the thousands of rocks that littered the shoreline. Inch by inch he pulled the net, careful not to cover too much ground at once. Moving in a large half moon from the beach, through the water, and back.

While Okuma worked, the boys played. Kazu was too small to fight the currents and Jiro was all but useless in the water thanks to his devil fruit. But it didn't matter to the bear. A smile barely cracked his stone visage as he watched the pair having fun. This was it. This is what he wanted.

His gray eyes drifted up and down the shore, imagining buildings and docks in the place of all the trees and rocks.

"If only.." He mumbled to himself as he continued to drag the net back to shore.

"Pops! Pops!" Kazu's shouting broke the moment of peace as a chill went down the bear's spine. Like iron from a cannonball, he shot out of the waves and onto the beach. The massive man covered the distance in what seemed like a blink.

"Kazu! Jiro!"

"Over here! Come quick!!"

His thin eyes widened at the sight of Maku drenched in his blood, his rotund body covered in thousands of small cuts.

"B-...boss..." Maku coughed, "We-...We checked all the rocks... hehe..." Snickering at his stupidity from earlier.

"All the rocks, eh..? I knew I put the right men on the job..."

"Oh...Oh... yea..." Coughing between each word. "It... It was...!!"

"Stay back!" Zaju's voice could be heard shouting from the trees.

Once again the bear moved with the grace and speed of someone half his size. Though he lacked his razor, his fists were more than enough.

"My, my, my..." The swordsman mused as he traded blows with the thin pompadour. "This won't do..."

"Tch!" Zaju grit his teeth, his hands gripping his sword so tightly they bled. "I'll get you for what ya did to Maku!! Haaaaa!" Shouting as he haphazardly lunged toward his wispy opponent.

"Oh, not quite~ kawkawkawkaw!" With a twist and a step, it was over in an instant. Zaju never saw it coming. Thousands of tiny cuts from a long and slender sword with a jet-black blade. Something that even Jiro struggled to see.

"Yo!" Okuma shouted. "That's enough."

"Oh...~?"

"You must be Karasu."

"My, my, my.... Quite perceptive..." Karasu snickered, pointing the slender blade at his next opponent.

"Jiro, protect Kazu and Maku. Let no harm come to them."

"Ooo! Ah!" Jiro snarled confidently in response.

"Good." Okuma flashed a quick smile to the monkey before leaping into battle.

Moletown

"Hmmmm...." Kyandi muttered as a lollipop twirled between his fat fingers. "So it's started then...?"

"Kokokokokoko" Kame chuckled, "Karasu is currently pruning the garden, removing all the weeds at your request."

"Good....good." Plopping the sucker into his mouth, "Will make the final bit much easier if all his underlings are gone."

"Yes, yes, quite. Kokokokoko!"

"And what of the wife...?" His words met with Kame promptly handing over a detailed schedule of her daily activities. "Excellent... And what of the mermaid, the octopus one with the spots and penchant for trouble...?"

"She seems to have found herself a new pet. A self-proclaimed doctor who washed up a few weeks ago."

"A doctor, eh?" Kyandi gave his chest a good beat to force a cough to exit his lungs, chunks of hardened sugar accompanying the forced-out air. "Been a while since we had one of those around.. I may need to pay him a visit him... "

"Not since you had the last one strung up in the swamps. Kokokokoko."

"Kitkatkatkatakatkat.... Yes... That was quite an event, wasn't it? Kitkatkatkatkatkat... Ahhh, we have had some good times haven't we, Kame?"

"Why yes, yes we have."

Bubbling Swamps

"Kiiro!! Midori!!?" Momoiro shouted, "Where you two shitty shits get off to?"

The pink tracksuit wandered the edges of the swamps, making sure to avoid the muddied pits and bubbling water.

"I hate this shitty swamp..." He mumbled. "Can't believe these shitty shits can do one shittin thing.... Got me out here...?! Midori?!?"

His eyes locked onto the blood-drenched green suit, with the wearer barely clinging to life. "Hold on ya shit, I got'cha!"

"N-no...." Midori coughed, "I-...It's too late... for me..."

"No, don't you talk like that you fuckin shit!! I'm here now, I'll get ya back to the shitty hideout and... and...." Realizing the gravity of the situation.

"Nah.... I ain't... I ain't ever making it back there.... Least... not alive anyway...." Midori mumbled, spurting blood from his mouth and wound with every word. "You-.... Ya gotta warn the rest... M-Moletown... thei-...r... co-...m-...ing..."

"Raaaaahhhhhh!!" Momoiro shouted, his rage pushing back the tears. His eyes were like that of a ravenous beast, gripping his sword, he rushed through the trees. Following the first bit of noise that his ears managed to catch.

He broke through the clearing, coming upon the crow and the bear. Though he only saw red. Craving the blood of them both with no time to ask questions.

"I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU, YOU SHITTY FUCKING SHITS!!!!!"

WC 967/9,204/13,500
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:34 am
While waiting for the meal to arrive, the curious crook filled the silence with idle chatter. “Say, have you heard anything of people, erm, coming down with a sudden case of death. His careful pondering was met with an amused hum. “Oh darling, you’ll have to be more specific.” He tugged his tie, trying to stop it from strangling him. “Right, well, there’s this rumor I heard about three gruesome deaths this month, as well as... bite marks...” As his voice trailed off, the silence settled in more chilling than ever.

The Queen’s gaze narrowed into a piercing stare. After long deliberation, she shook her head slowly. “Hm, no... Haven’t heard of anything like that.” She lied as easily as she breathed.

Being something of an expert on the subject, Richard knew the mermaid was lying. He also knew that she knew that he-...Look, it was a complicated web of deception and subterfuge. Standard operating procedure for Moletown. The point was that she was hiding something and it was up to him to decide whether or not he really wanted to know. A memory of the bitemarks flashed before his eyes.

He wisely decided against asking too many questions.

Slyly changing the topic, the mermaid leaned forward, resting her chin on her hand. “Remember the time we took over this place~?” Her gaze wandered across the bar, all the way to the entrance. “I remember it so clearly... The way you kicked down the door while bellowing ‘Ya’ll motherfuckers better surrender or hide! There’s a new boss in town and her name is-’

The rat was quick to wave the inaccurate depiction aside. “That’s not how I remember it...” He muttered bitterly. Glancing to his side, his attention turned on the beaten door of the bar, barely staying on its hinges. At the same time, his mind drifted twenty-two years back... To a day full of changes and turmoil...

~~~

“Absolutely not!”

An exasperated young man in a white doctor’s coat tried to block the path of a much larger mermaid. ...He wasn’t very successful, considering how the woman kept pushing back, towards a certain bar. “Venoronica, please listen to me... I am not going to help you get yourself killed!” He pleaded with no small amount of fearful waver in his voice.

Finally, the towering thug stopped. Her wild, two-toned hair cascaded down her back. The open leather jacket left little to imagination. And irritation tugged at her toothy frown. “You got a lot of nerve raising your voice at me, twerp... Give me one good reason to back off now, when I’m this close.” She hoisted a hefty leadpipe threateningly.

Ever the professional, the doctor didn’t even miss a beat. “I can give you three, actually.” He held up a finger. “One, your previous wounds are still healing and any careless move could rip the stitches open.” Another finger joined the first. “Two, have you seen how much they outnumber us? I’m counting one to ten thus far.” And that was a generous estimate. Finally, a third and perhaps the most important point was raised.

“Three, I am a doctor, not a fighter. ‘Primum non nocere’ that is, ‘do no harm’. I cannot harm innocents.”

For a moment there, Venoronica stopped to consider the points. Then, her shark-like smile sharpened. “Hmhm~ Then it’s a good thing there are only sinners in here.” She grabbed the poor man by the wrist and slithered forward with grim eagerness.

“W-waitwaitwait...!”

But it was too late.

The bar door flew open. Two shadows stepped inside. ...Well, the first shadow stumbled, rather. The doctor picked himself up from the floor, dusting his clothes frantically, before becoming acutely aware of all eyes glaring daggers at him. He glanced around, only managing to offer a sheepish smile. “Eheh, erm, g-good afternoon, gentlemen...”

Words: 636
Total: 5529 / 13 500

Last edited by Maxwell on Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

Goldmonger

This post has in-line assessment comments.Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:38 pm
The wind whistled through the trees as the pink tracksuit and the crow lay motionless at the bear's feet. The mountain of a man glaring down at the pair, his knuckles white from rage.

"H-how..." Karasu grumbled as he struggled up from his prone position before succumbing to the overpowering Haki that flowed from the beast before him. The blade he so proudly pointed at the demon barber now several feet away lodged into the rocky ground.

"Jiro." Directing the monkey to collect Momoiro while he picked up Karasu and Zaju, tossing the grown men over his shoulders with ease. "The cabin's nearby."

"Ooo Oo!" The mountain monkey nodded, dragging the tracksuit by his arm, his bald head bouncing off every rock the passed over.

"W-wait for me...!" Kazu shouted from behind, his tiny legs struggling to keep up with the bear's long strides.

A Cabin, future site of Pebble Beach Port | Several Hours later

"My, my, my, finally away, eh?" Karasu mused over the crackling of the flames before him. His hands were bound just the same as they all sat around a small campfire.

"S-shit...." Momoiro grunted as his vision adjusted to the dancing flames inside the otherwise dark cabin room. The floor was dirt, while the walls were old wood, bowed from years of being beaten by the weather. "Wh-...You...?!" His demeanor quickly changed at the site of the demon barber before him.

"Me." Okuma grunted in return, holding a small twig over the flames,  with a small fish, if it could even be called that from its size. Was run through on the end as it hovered just out of the fire's reach. The scales slowly charring black from the heat.

"I'LL FUCKING KILL YO-...!"

"Shhh!" The bear's large finger pressed against his lips before pointing to Jiro and Kazu cuddled up in the corner. Releasing just a bit of Haki to make his point known.

"Tch..." Momoiro grit his teeth, "I'll kill you, you shitty shit." His hushed threat complied with the man's warning.

"And why is that...?" Okuma questioned, his eyes focused on the tiny fish, being sure not to lose out on his catch from the day. "Far as I can tell, that haircut suits you better than being dead."

"This ain't about the shit haircut you shitty fucking shithead shit..!" Momoiro's voice began to rise before quickly quieting back down after a look from the yakuza barber.

"It ain't about the shitty cut, it's about you shitty Moletown shit's killing my friends..."

"My, my, my...~" Karasu mused, trying to fan the flames between the pair. "Killing his friends? What a devil you are...~"

"Okuma just glared at the crow in response for a moment before returning his attention back to the fish and addressing Momoiro. "Your friends..? The other tracksuits?"

"Tch...! They are more than just some shitty tracksuits..."

"Oh...~?" Karasu interrupted, "Tracksuits you say...? Kawkawkawkaw..."

"Shut your shitty trap you scarecrow-looking shit!!"

The bear and the crow locked eyes, "I know not of killing your friends. Had I come across them, they would have received the same hospitality as you..." His voice grew somber towards the end.

"I have grown tired of killing and all the death that comes with it." Pausing for a moment as he removed the fish from the flames, its skin now black as coal. "What I want is to live the life of a simple fisherman with those he holds dear..."

"Ohohoho~ So the demon does have a heart...? Kawkawkawkaw" Karasu snickered before speaking once more, "I'll tell you what, you let me out of here and I'll tell you everything I know."

"I'm sure it will interest both of you quite abit...~"

"Here." Okuma ignored the crow's words and stuffed a bit of the blackened fish into both of his captive's mouths. "Eat."

"Blegghhg...!" Momoiro spat out the charred fishtail. "Oh, that's awful..." Spitting out the bits that remained in his mouth. "Now I know you are trying to kill me!!"

"Mm..mhmm...mmm" Karasu mumbled as he devoured the blackened head, eyes, and all. "Not bad... could use abit of sauce next time. Kawkawkawkaw."

"H-how..?" Momoiro's eyes were still wet with tears of disgust. "You really are a psychopath!"

"Kawkawkaw! I tell you what, I like you guys..!" Freeing his hands from the ropes with ease. "I'll tell ya everything I know. But first, ya got any more of that fish...?"

Moletown

The planks of wood creaked under the robust man's feet, each step the wood seemed like it screamed in pain. Over his shoulders was a tattered captain's coat covered in used candy, saliva acting like an adhesive to the sugar.

"Has Okuma returned yet?"

"He has not.." Kame responded as he stroked his wispy facial hair.

"And Karasu...?"

"He has not either."

"Hmmmm...." Kyandi pondered for a moment before dismissing the thought. "When the barber returns, have him treat the mermaid and her new pet to a new haircut...." He paused for a moment to stuff his face with sugar.

"Actually... Bring me the barber's wife as well.. I always did fancy a good brunette and it’s been some time since I’ve had some sugar…. Kitkatkatkatkat" Slapping his large belly before bellowing out in laughter.

WC 866/10,070/13,500
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:54 am
Only the grim silence greeted back. The terrified doctor found himself withering under dozens of glares. Without a word, the burly patrons started getting up from their chairs. It brought his teenage years to mind all too vividly, specifically when he had watched the fishermen chum the waters. The sharks were circling...

Slowly and carefully, Richard inched backwards. “L-look, I’m s-sure there’s a peaceful solution here...” His retreat was cut short, as he bumped into a fleshy mass of tentacles, muscle and soft... erm, well, nevermind that last one. One of the tentacles wrapped itself over his shoulder reassuringly.

The octopus mermaid puffed her chest, letting her voice echo across the room. “Ya’ll motherfuckers better surrender or hide!” She slammed her weapon against the floorboards with a resounding thud. “There’s a new boss in town and her name is Venoronica!” Her tentacles coiled threateningly, like several sets of fists being raised.

More of the suffocating silence followed. The bulky thugs glanced at each other... And suddenly burst out laughing. Not the kind of good-natured laugh that followed a friendly jest. No, it was the sort of nasty, howling laughter more fitting for a pack of hyenas.

While the pirates were busy laughing themselves breathless, the thuggish woman gritted her sharp teeth. “Richie... Give me your strongest painkillers...” Her growl made it all too clear that she wasn’t asking.

Trembling, the doctor dug up a bottle of round, white pills. He struggled to get exactly two of them into his hand. Not one, not three, but two. “F-fine, but you’ll need to-” The bottle was snatched from his grasp. He watched helplessly, as his patient downed the entire thing. “-follow the dosage... Oh dear...” He could see the textbook entries of blood poisoning and kidney failure flash before his eyes.

The mermaid, on the other hand, was only seeing red. With a grunt of effort, she swung her tentacles around and sent the nearest pieces of furniture flying. A chair to the face could silence any hyena. Those who didn’t get immediately decked by a table reached for weapons. Swords, knives, broken bottles... Anything that could make someone bleed.

A messy brawl broke out. One side had a couple of dozen thugs, punks, hustlers and general low-lives. The other side had a scorned woman with enough fury for all of them. Tentacles lashed out, tables splintered and men learned to fly. Well, briefly.

Richard, for his part, was desperately trying to stay out of harm’s way. Fortunately, the heavens had blessed him with youthful vigor and a sprinter’s legs. So he ran. He ran for dear life, ducking beneath the flying furniture and swinging weapons. Anyone who tried to follow him inevitably got caught in whatever he just narrowly dodged. Not the bravest tactic, but it was working.

However, as the brawl raged on, the numbers proved too much. Despite Venoronica’s best efforts, she was slowly getting pushed back. Swords clanged against the pipe. Each strike cut closer than the last. Several of her wounds were weeping from broken stitches. Clicking her tongue, she whipped her tentacles low and swept the closest goons off of their feet. It bought her a handful of seconds, enough to surge into the backrooms.

While holding the door shut, the mermaid fumbled for something, anything to barricade the path. Her tentacles found crates, barrels... And the trembling doctor. “Richie? When did you...?” The initial surprise quickly turned into a sharp smile. “Hm, no matter. Quick, patch me up while I catch my breath.”

A huge stack of assorted junk ensured the creaking door was staying shut, while the doctor worked his craft. Between the sewing motions, he muttered bitterly how he had warned her about the stitches. His whining fell to deaf ears. Fortunately, he had always been a walking, talking first aid kit. The bandaging was crude, but it would keep her from bleeding out. For now.

“Right, all done, now can we please-?”

“Shhh, do you hear that?”

Indeed, if one stopped to listen carefully, a strange sound was creeping between all the banging and commotion. It was a repetitive squeak, like a set of springs whining beneath immense weight. The sound crawled through the dim corridor, stabbing its way into one’s skull. Squeak, squeak, squeak...

Like a pied piper, the sound drew the duo closer. The corridor wasn’t all that long. There weren’t all that many rooms. Yet tracking down the source took a moment. It was coming from the very back, from behind a door thicker than the others. And then...

It stopped.

Richard was the first to make the mistake of peeking inside. The sight grabbed him by the stomach and twisted. An all too familiar ogre loomed over a brunette woman. The lady was bruised, stained and deathly still. He clasped his mouth shut. His insides threatened to unravel onto the floor.

Venoronica only had her eye on the man, Kyandi. Without warning, she burst through the door and took a swing. And yet... The ogre moved faster than a man his size had any right to move. He grasped the broken victim by the throat and used her like a shield. The attack stopped with a grim thud.

Kyandi finished pulling up his pants with his free hand. “Ah, the mermaid and her pet... I have been... expecting you...” His voice carried a chilling calmness. It was the tone of a chess master who had seen his opponent’s first move... And found it predictable. He cast the broken toy aside without even a glance.

Before Richard’s mind could catch up, his body was already moving. He was upon the wounded patient. His eyes swept over the injuries, cataloging each at a blinding pace. Pale, blue-tinted skin, severe bruising around the neck, no signs of breathing... And no pulse.

The doctor’s body didn’t accept it. Moving on pure reflex, he started doing chest compressions. Counting beneath his breath, he tried to keep the false rhythm of life going. Tried until his arms hurt. And then kept trying.

Venoronica and Kyandi were circling the room slowly, step by step, measuring each other. The man flashed a rotten smile. “Sentimental sort, isn’t he...?” She didn’t give him the pleasure of an answer. “Wasting all that effort over a lost cause...” Still no answer. “...Just like you.”

Suddenly, the mermaid’s eyes narrowed into pinpricks. She spat a thick, violet glob at the man, missing his face only narrowly. It sizzled as it hit the wall. She went in for a swing, but the foe caught the pipe. Much to her wide-eyed surprise, he yanked it from her steel grip effortlessly. Like his hand had been glued to it... A belly slam sent her tumbling backwards.

Seeing stars, the octopus tried to figure out which way was the floor, just so she wouldn’t slam into it. Her spinning eyes managed to catch a glance of the doctor. “What are you doing?! Get up and help-!” Yet the last word got caught in her throat, as the man glanced back.

Richard had stopped trying. Tears rolled down his cheeks. His gaze was unnervingly hollow. No fear, no sadness... It felt like something behind those brown, bright eyes had broken. “Would you kindly fill this for me...?” He asked quietly, handing the mermaid an empty syringe.

“Fill? What? Hey, fill it with what?”

The doctor didn’t answer. He marched towards the kingpin, trembling hands curling into fists. Thoughts abandoned his mind. There was only the broken, violent impulse. He took a swing, a pathetic, little swing, which was stopped by a sticky hand. No amount of panicked pulling could yank him free.

“Shame...”

Kyandi twisted the young man’s arm. Something dislocated with a crack. “It’s... regrettable... That you chose to raise your hand against me, boy...” He yanked and brought the foe down onto his knees. “I always get what I want... And now... I want you two out of the picture...” His belly was like a wrecking ball, slamming the lanky twig onto the floor.

As Richard tried to find his feet, he instead found several needles sticking from his hide. A syringe holder in his pocket had broken spectacularly. A recommended dose of any single remedy was between one and three CCs... His syringes each held twelve CCs. And now, every last drop was racing through his bloodstream. The cocktail painted his veins black. He coughed. Gasped. Squirmed. Slowly, his agonized stare turned from gentle brown to sickly green.

Kyandi soon grew weary of watching the young boy writhe in his death throes. Lost its novelty after a while, you know. He brought his foot down, with all his generous girth behind it, right upon the doctor’s chest. A sickening crunch silenced the suffering. He stepped away from the lifeless fool and rewarded himself with a wrapped candy.

...Only to drop it in horror, as the dead man stood up.

Words: 1487
Total: 7016 / 13 500

Goldmonger

This post has in-line assessment comments.Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:57 pm
Fishing Cabin

"O-OKUMA...!!" A young Nise busted through the cabin door, huffing and puffing as he did his best to keep upright and off his knees.

"Nise..?" Okuma grunted.

"Kawkawkaw, if it ain't Knockoff Nise." Karasu snickered.

"Y-you...Gotta come... quick" Panting between each word, his lungs were on fire. Even in his youth, Nise was never known for his physical fitness. "It's... Kyandi...!"

"We were just on our way to pay him a visit." Okuma growled, "Karasu here told us everything."

"N-no...! It's your wife and Hina...!"

Without a word, Okuma became a blur, wasting no time with the door and instead reducing the nearby wall to splinters and dust.

"You ain't going alone you shitty shit..!" Momoiro shouted as he quickly made his way after the barber bear.

"Kawkawkaw." The straw man raised to his feet, towering over those that remained. "This should be interesting.~..." His eyes lit up before glancing at Nise and nodding to Kazu and Jiro. Taking off after the pair.

"Y-yea... I'll just.... I'll just wait here with the kids... catch up with you guys later..." Letting out a sigh as he plopped into the dirt.

Okuma's home on the outskirts of Moletown

Okuma arrived at his home on the edge of Moletown, or rather, the smoldering ash that was left of it. His fists balled into a rage, his knuckles white and face redder than a raging fire.

The demon let out a blood-curdling roar and a wave of pure willpower, sending every beast in the area running in the opposite direction.

Chills ran down Momoiro's spine as he struggled to catch up, Karasu in turn let out an excited cackle.

"Will you shut up you shitty bird shit! Less yapping and more running ya shit!"

"Kawkawkaw... That Demon Barber sure is terrifying~ Kawkawkaw...!"

As the pair broke through the tree line, they saw a dozen of Kyandi's men surrounding Okuma, all armed to the teeth in preparation for the hunt.

The bear calmly removed his razor from the black dust, the blade having been forged in much hotter flames. Though its wooden handle was now reduced to the same state as his former home.

Turning to face the crowd he was greeted with the backs of Momoiro and Karasu, the pair had moved in between the horde and Okuma himself.

"You got more important shit going on now, Boss! Let me and the shitty bird handle these annoying shits." The bald pink tracksuit shouted, brandishing his katana in defense of the demon barber.

"Kawkawkawkaw. Listen to the baldie. Kawkawkaw... This ain't nothing we can't handle." Fluttering in the wind as he removed his own blade and directed it on the crowd.

"Hmph.. I ain't your boss.." Okuma grunted with a respectful nod before rushing passed the group. Their pointless effort to stop his was left in vain as Momoiro and Karasu intercepted their attacks with ease.

"My, my, my, let's not bite off more than you can chew? Eh? Kawkawkawkaw!"

"You shitty shits are fighting us now! Got it?!"

Okuma's made dash covered the short distance between his home and Moletown. Within no time he was standing outside the -unken Centurian, the door off the hinges, the dirty wooden floor littered with lifeless bodies and broken furniture.

"KYAAAANDDDIIII....!!!" The roar seemed to shake the building down to its very core, his voice alone threatening to tear it down.

565/10,635/13,500
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:20 am
Tense seconds ticked by in chilling silence. When no attack came, the candyman quickly got over the shock. “Look at you... Barely standing, with one foot in the grave...” His beady gaze scanned the broken foe calmly, taking note of the left arm that hung limply, the two twisted fingers and the blood dripping from between the lips. “You’re running on painkillers and impotent anger, aren’t you, boy...?” He didn’t need to hear an answer, he knew he was right.

The floorboards creaked, as the ogre marched closer. “What even was your plan, hm...?” His sticky fingers reached around the doctor’s throat and lifted him against the wall. “You know, this was long over, before you threw a single punch... The moment you stepped into my fine establishment, you had already lost... ” He punctuated his words with heavy hits to the gut. Each one elicited a crimson cough.

Venoronica watched in quiet disbelief, as her only ally was being battered senseless. She found herself clutching the syringe with trembling fingers. Her confused glare focused on it. Fill it, the doctor had told her. With what? She had no first aid kit. No intention of sticking it into herself either. How would her blood help anyway? But what other liquids were there left...?

Growing tired of the punching bag, the kingpin leaned closer. The rotten teeth curled into a sinister smile. His rancid breath made the doctor’s eyes water.

“Even if you had managed to save that waste of a whore, nothing would have changed... I still have plenty of leverage... You see, an old friend of mine has procured the daughter of a certain useful idiot... Keeping her safe in my personal parlor, away from all this awful, awful violence... Honestly, whether these pawns are alive or dead is irrelevant at this point... The mother and her daughter, they are like... Trophies... Simply having them is a show of power...”

Hoisting the limp twig upwards, the candyman grinned. “Goodbye, Doctor Maxwell...” Wielding all his strength and heft, he slammed the foe into the floorboards. Literally. With a shriek of wood and crunch of bone, the mangled corpse sunk halfway through the floor, kissing the cold dirt below.

With the young, naive fool finally disposed of, Kyandi turned his attention towards the mermaid. He wiped the blood from his hands, as his thick tongue ran across his lips. “Well, I just ate, but... I never could resist dessert...” His hungry gaze was eerie enough to send the wounded woman crawling backwards. “Go fuck yourself, Kyandi...” The hiss gave the man a pause. Behind those beady eyes, something snapped.

Mister Kyandi.”

A heavy kick cracked some ribs. The mermaid flopped back, struggling to breathe. Something fell from her grasp with a quiet clatter, sliding softly across the floor. It stopped against a lifeless hand.

Kyandi pinned the breathless woman down. His hefty gut squashed the tentacles, keeping them out of the way. Greedily his grubby fingers groped, leaving behind sticky stains. Wriggling only encouraged him. Chuckling beneath his labored breath, he reached for his belt...

Only a sharp jolt of pain stopped him.

When the ogre glanced back, he found a mangled, bleeding shadow looming behind him. Something sharp gleamed in its grasp, dripping blood. “The hell...?!” Without wasting a second, he hurled a heavy punch at the shadow, sending it crashing into the wall.

The candyman squinted at the downed doctor. Disbelief and irritation scraped like gravel in his voice. “You just don’t know when to stay down...” His eyes focused on the sharp item in his grasp. Seemed like a broken syringe. “Idiot... A little shiv won’t get through my robust hide...” He paid no mind to the violet liquid mixing with the crimson stains.

However, as the kingpin tried to stand, his legs suddenly buckled beneath his weight. “What the...?” He hit the floor hard enough to make it cry. Strength was draining from his trembling limbs. Weakly, he clutched his chest, gasping for air.

“Tetrodotoxin...”

The raspy mutter came from the corpse who just wouldn’t stay dead. “A natural neurotoxin found in the pufferfish, the newt... And the blue-ringed octopus...” His head flopped and lips parted weakly, as if he was a broken ventriloquist dummy. Quietly, he recited a passage intimately familiar to every ship doctor. “The symptoms appear within minutes, including lethargy, nausea, paralysis and ultimately...” His hollow eyes focused an eerie stare on the wheezing man.

“...complete respiratory failure, leading to death.”

Reminiscent of a marionette with missing strings, the doctor slowly clambered up from the floor. Only... Limbs were not supposed to bend that far. Or creak like so. It sounded like his bones were grinding into each other with every motion. He grabbed his limply hanging arm and twisted it back into its socket. His fingers curled. All five of them. The bruising and swelling was fading away.

“What... the hell... are you...?”

Richard paused for a moment, seeming to ponder. “I am a doctor.” He eventually decided. “And I am sorry to inform you, but there is no cure.” Cold professionalism gave his diagnosis a grim sense of finality. “Wha...?” As the patient wasted his final breath, the doctor donned an empty smile, wearing it like a clinical mask.

“Goodbye, Mister Kyandi.”

One of the most notorious kingpins of Moletown died that day, with a thud and a whimper. Unfortunately, there was no time to celebrate. The howl of an enraged beast shook the bar. And that meant no rest for the wicked.

Richard limped weakly out to the messy bar, finding himself looking up at a hulking man. “Good afternoon.” The greeting slipped from his lips like a reflex. More of a habit than a thought. “Who the HELL are you?!” Against all common sense, he offered a handshake. “I am Doctor Maxwell. Nice to meet you.” ...A handshake stained with blood.

Something about the jarringly polite greeting gave the barber a pause. It sounded... empty. Wrong. Like he was talking to a hollow husk. He stared deep into those sickly green eyes and saw nothing behind them. His grip on the weapon tightened. Apprehension boiled in his veins. “...Where’s Kyandi?”

Venoronica emerged from the back rooms as well, clutching her broken ribs. “Kyandi’s dead, you dumb bastard.” She brandished her pipe at the barber, flashing a smile dripping with venom. “And we are the ones who killed him. So if you want to fuck with us, you better-”

“No.”

It was the grim finality again, the voice of a cold professional who was not here to argue. “Please, no more fighting and killing.” His gaze shifted between the two mad dogs about to tear each other’s throats open. “Can’t we just... stop the bloodshed? And try to save at least one life today?” He pleaded weakly.

“What? What are you talking about?”

Finally, Richard felt like he was making progress. “Kyandi said he has someone’s daughter. For leverage...” He trailed off. The fate of the poor mother still weighed heavily on his mind, but... He would grieve later. If there was still someone they could save, he had to focus solely on that.

Oh, the words certainly reached the barber. They painted a grim realization onto his features. “Hina...” Lunging at the doctor, he grabbed him by the jacket and shook him. “Where is my daughter?! ANSWER ME!” Anger and desperation clashed in his voice. He was teetering on the brink of losing everything.

Richard had honestly lost count how many times he had been roughed up today. One time too many, he figured. “I-i-i-i-in his private parlor, s-s-s-somewhere close, I-I-I-I think.” He managed to blurt past his clattering teeth. The answer only sparked more furious shaking and demand for specifics. “How should I know? I’m new here...” He whined bitterly. Life felt rather unfair at the moment.

While watching the two naive blockheads argue, the mermaid found a small smile creeping onto her lips. Having been in the game for a while, she knew a thing or two about Moletown. Her smile sharpened. And she knew exactly what to do with that sort of information...

Words: 1351
Total: 8367 / 13 500

Last edited by Maxwell on Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Goldmonger

This post has in-line assessment comments.Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:03 pm
Pebble Beach | Present Day

Nise......Nise......

Yooo....! Nise..! Are you even fucking listening?!

A snap brought the king of knockoff's back to reality, "Wha... Hrmmm... Yes, yes...?"

"Have you been listening at all you shitty shithead shit?!" Momoiro barked.

"Hmmm.. yes, of course... I-I must have dozed off for a moment.." Nise grumbled as he noticed his cigar had burned out.

"A moment?!" Kazu shouted. "We've been talking for like five fuckin minutes now, ya dig?! Did'ja even hear the plan??"

"Y-Yes! Yes, of course I heard the plan you disrespectful littlwhipper-snapperer!" Nise snapped back, "You'd think after all I've done for you over the years you'd give me the courtesy of respecting your elder..!"

"Tch.. Right..." Kazu rolled his eyes before addressing the room, "Alright, everyone's got their gigs. And if everyone does em right..." Pausing with a glare directed at Nise, "We will control Moletown by morning.."

"Bout time those shitty Moletown shitbags got what's comin to em."

"Kawkawkawkaw...! So exciting...~!"

Pebble Beach | Hina and Dax

"Tch....! Where is he?!" Hina shouted as she stomped through the muddied streets. "When I find him.... Oooooo he's gonna get it!" Marching towards the meeting house, her anger radiated off her like an intense heat.

"Sheeww." Dax mumbled in a sarcastic tone, "Scary..." swaggering behind her as his eyes scanned the dilapidated cabins they passed. Taking a mental note that the denizens were piss poor, leaving not much of value for him to steal.

The pair happened upon the meeting house and without warning Hina kicked in the door. "KAAAAZZZZUUUU! I'M GONNA KILL YO-...!!!" Her anger subsided as she was met with an empty room with nothing but a note laying in the center.

"Huh...?" She mumbled, eyes darting back and forth across the page. "That little fucker... I can't believe he'd go to him..!" Crumpling the note, Hina pushed passed Dax and darted out of the cabin and towards the Mountains.

"Hey...wha...?!" Dax shouted as Hina shoved him out of the way, "Where the fuck you going now...?!" The Goldmonger let out a heavy sigh as his eyes drifted upwards to the snow-capped mountains that loomed in the background.

"Guess it's off to the fuckin mountains we go..."

WC 364/10,999/13,500
Maxwell
Maxwell

This post has in-line assessment comments.Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:49 am
Unfortunately, some people simply didn’t take ‘I don’t know’ for an answer. The powerful pair of hands continued treating the battered doctor like a living baby rattle. He could feel his brain bouncing around. The broken pieces of his sanity scratched against his skull. Quite the unpleasant sensation, really.

Having been assaulted, insulted and bossed around the whole day, the meek man had reached and gone past his limits several times over. His mental bank account was deep in the red. Terrible ideas were starting to look like wonderful ideas. Slowly, his shaky attention was drawn to the sharp, little shape in his pocket. There was a shiver... A twitch...

And a snap.

---

“With a bloodcurdling scream of rage, Richie pulled out one of his fancy, little doctor shivs and shanked that stupid son of a bitch right in the-”

Snapping back to the present, Richard reflexively interrupted the reminiscing narrator. “Hold on, now. That’s not how it went at all.” He protested, almost losing his polite mask in the process. “How much have you embellished this story over the years?” And how far had this ridiculous story spread...? He dearly hoped no Marines would ever hear it. His bounty was far too high for his liking already.

The mermaid smiled sweetly. “Oh Richie... You’re missing the point.” She leaned closer, bringing her slithering tentacles around the rat. “That’s the version Moletown remembers, the only version that matters anymore.” As always, even her sweetest smile had those sharp teeth behind it, just waiting for a chance to sink into something.

Savoring the moment, the Queen gestured idly at her domain. At the seedy, murky mockery of a tavern around them. “Why do you think you can still waltz back here like you do? And peddle your little wares to anyone you like, hm?” She lifted a finger and poked him on the nose. “Because you’re the big hero, of course. The guy who stepped up to take down a tyrant and broker peace. All that old clout still holds weight, you know.”

Slowly, the venomous woman’s grip on the lanky man tightened. “Thanks to you, I got exactly what I wanted back then... And more. Now we can do it all over again. Just. Like. Old times. The smile lost its sweetness. Only the teeth remained. So don’t ruin this for me... Okay~?” Her words dripped verbal poison as thick as tar.

Richard could only squeak in response. “Okay.” He preferred his bones intact, you see. Fortunately, his answer seemed to satisfy the terrifying pirate. The threatening tentacles retreated. In celebration, he allowed himself a sigh of relief and some nervous fiddling with his tie. The damned thing just refused to sit nicely, always tightening around his neck...

Soon enough, the ordered meal arrived along with the drinks. Despite the reputation of the place, the portion seemed surprisingly edible. What was that, some sort of smoked fish alongside what passed for potatoes, spring onions and whatnot? A hearty meal, certainly. Paired well with wine or whiskey, which is precisely why the two had made their choices.

Unfortunately, while staring at the plate, the doctor realized that even the rest of his already feeble appetite had abandoned him. Idly, he prodded the dead-eyed and charred fish carcass with a fork. Feeling an odd sort of kinship with it probably wasn’t a good sign.

The coward recoiled, when a knife suddenly sliced through his kindred spirit. He glanced up, to find his lunch date offering to feed him a mouthful. “Eat up, darling~” In any other situation, the gesture would’ve felt quite romantic. “We have a long day ahead of us. I need you at your best.” But... Even as he reluctantly accepted the offer... He just couldn’t ignore the way those sharp teeth twisted into that chilling crescent smile.

Words: 638
Total: 9005 / 13 500

Last edited by Maxwell on Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Goldmonger

This post has in-line assessment comments.Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:30 am
The sun dipped behind the lighthouse nestled on the coastal cliff of Rubeck, painting the landscape in a warm orange hue. A rare site for the rainy island nestled in the frigid waters of the North Blue.

Okuma sat on the edge of the cliff, nursing a bottle as his eyes focused on the gravestone before him. "Where did I go wrong..?" The words slipped out between sips, "With you around, everything just made sense... it worked..."

"Kazu... Jiro.... They haven't spoken in years.. Hina tried for awhile.. did her best to keep things together after you died.. Lord knows I couldn't do it."

"Heh.. it's funny, she's tough like you, a lot tougher than I ever was that's for sure.."

"She does her best to keep the town going.. Keeps Kazu and his friends in line.. Keeps the whole place afloat honestly." Tears welled in his sunken eyes as he mumbled, but they refused to fall. "But I'm just not sure how much longer we can keep this dream of yours alive..."

"Everything with Moletown is coming to a head tomorrow..." He paused as memories of twenty years ago flooded his mind.

"O-Okuma...!" A voice shouted out from the tree line. "Okuma!!"

"Hmm..?" The bear grunted as he glanced over his shoulder to see Nise waddling as fast as he could. "What is it?"

"H-Hina...! Her and that gold-covered stranger..! They..." His words interrupted by his heavy panting.

"Slow down, Nise, take a breath and tell me what's going on."

They.. They just left for the mountains after Kazu and the others! They are going to ask the mountain boss for help against Moletown..!"

"Tch.." Okuma grunted, taking one last swig before rising to his feet and placing the bottle on top of the gravestone. The setting sun framed the bottle, the liquor inside glistening in the light.

"It's time."

"T-Time for what...?!"

"To finish what started all those years ago..." Okuma mumbled. "Nise, please watch over Hina, she spends to much time worrying about everyone else instead of herself."

"You don't mean...? B-But Okuma.."

"Thank you, Nise.." The bear grunted as he started off in the direction of Moletown, not leaving any room for a response from the knockoff king.

"Kawkawkawkaw..!" The cackling laugh echoed from the tree line as Karasu fluttered out of the shadows. "I told you he would try this~.."

"Hey you shitty boss, you didn't think we would let ya handle this shit on your own did ya..?" Momoiro snickered as he accompanied the scarecrow man.

"Go home you two, I can't ask you to come with me."

"Well it's a good thing you ain't askin, ain't it ya shit?"

"Kawkawkaw, like we would miss out on a party like this?! Kawkawkaw!"

The board was set, the pieces in place, and the next twenty-four hours would change the fate of Rubeck island and all those who inhabit it forever.

End of Part 1

Part 2 https://www.revivaldawn.com/t2679-arc-rubeck-island-conquestpart-2-last-tango-in-rubeck#17298

WC 485/11,484/13,500
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Join Revival Dawn on Discord